Aptaisia and peppermint shrimp size question

  • Thread starter Thread starter mook1178
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mook1178

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
535
Reaction score
600
Location
Lincoln
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can an aptaisia be too large for peppermint shrimp?

I recently added some peppermint shrimp. My small aptaisia are gone, but the 3 the ones are still around. Can they be too big for the shrimp?
 
I have heard this to be true but I have not seen it before.

I have seen peppermint shrimp and butterfly fish that destroy aiptasia who do not touch Mojano anemones, that look similar and get larger than aiptasia
 
Peppermint shrimp are not reliable aiptasia eliminators, and they definitely prefer smaller aiptasia. I've yet to meet a reefer IRL who successfully eliminated an aiptasia problem with peppermint shrimp. They can help control one though.
 
I think same goes for file fish, he ate 5 baby ones but hasn’t touched the biggest one that’s like 3.5 inches round 😅
 
Can an aptaisia be too large for peppermint shrimp?

I recently added some peppermint shrimp. My small aptaisia are gone, but the 3 the ones are still around. Can they be too big for the shrimp?
Peppermint shrimp are not reliable aiptasia eliminators, and they definitely prefer smaller aiptasia. I've yet to meet a reefer IRL who successfully eliminated an aiptasia problem with peppermint shrimp. They can help control one though.
I had hundreds of aptasia, and we don't get berghia here. I got 4, and it took about 3 months before all but the large ones were gone. A few more months, and they got the big ones. I had some massive ones that looked more like a BTA size. I haven't seen an aptasia in my tank for nearly a year, though I don't doubt that I have some in the overflow and pipework.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new