Aptasia Anemone lives in young tanks why cant others?

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about this and am sure the experts here will know the answer right away.

But why can you have aptasia an anemone in your tank and thriving when it is very young / new? But everyone says not to add BTA or other types till "maturity" or 6-12 months because they wont survive? What is the difference? They both are anemones so why does one need "maturity" and the other will thrive and spread in a brand new tank?

Just a random thought, let me see what you got!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about this and am sure the experts here will know the answer right away.

But why can you have aptasia an anemone in your tank and thriving when it is very young / new? But everyone says not to add BTA or other types till "maturity" or 6-12 months because they wont survive? What is the difference? They both are anemones so why does one need "maturity" and the other will thrive and spread in a brand new tank?

Just a random thought, let me see what you got!
Part of the ability to adapt to conditions. The aptasia is a very resilient anemone and able to adapt very quickly.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the ability to adapt to conditions. The aptasia is a very resilient anemone and able to adapt very quickly.
@sfin52 very interesting. I just always thought it was an interesting thing because you hear for the most part BTA are very resilient for the most part

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You assume that all anemones are equal, which is not so. You can add a rock flower anemone to your tank almost right away. Probably also a maxi mini right away, but not a BTA. Every animal is different with different tolerance.

You also assume that every hobbyist has the same experience/knowledge level. A brand new hobbyist should indeed wait several months, while an experienced hobbyist will know how to build a tank to safely add animals right away.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 very interesting. I just always thought it was an interesting thing because you hear for the most part BTA are very resilient for the most part
I consider my rainbow bta to be pretty aptasia. Started with 1 now have 17 in one tank and 8 in bosses tank. This is not counting the ones I have traded to local reefers and lfs

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You assume that all anemones are equal, which is not so. You can add a rock flower anemone to your tank almost right away. Probably also a maxi mini right away, but not a BTA. Every animal is different with different tolerance.

You also assume that every hobbyist has the same experience/knowledge level. A brand new hobbyist should indeed wait several months, while an experienced hobbyist will know how to build a tank to safely add animals right away.
This is money

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For sure there are assumptions. I was just using it as a general question. But good feedback!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an experienced hobbyist will know how to build a tank to safely add animals right away.
From what I've seen on the forum here, this is really the key - under proper conditions, any creature should be able to thrive even in a brand new tank, but it seems the average aquarist usually isn't skilled enough to set up and maintain those proper conditions right away in a tank (it seems to take most of us a few months to get a good handle on managing things in our tanks/new tanks).

For an example of a BTA being added to brand new tank that did fine despite the newness of the tank, see the link below (keep in mind, as mentioned, most of us probably shouldn't do this - most of us should take some time to get a handle on managing the tank before adding more sensitive livestock like this):

Edit: also, just to add, note that the OP of this other thread mentions they are an experienced aquarist, they aren't just doing this on their first tank.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back