Aptasia inside shells?

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my new 50 aio cycling. I have a temporary 40 that is destroyed with aptasia. In that tank I have 2 clowns that will go in new tank and I have a fighting conch that I want to transfer over but I’m afraid of transferring aptasia. I clean the ones on the outside of him but could he have aptasia inside his shell as well?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my new 50 aio cycling. I have a temporary 40 that is destroyed with aptasia. In that tank I have 2 clowns that will go in new tank and I have a fighting conch that I want to transfer over but I’m afraid of transferring aptasia. I clean the ones on the outside of him but could he have aptasia inside his shell as well?
You will likely have aiptasias since their little babies can hide in crevices that you can’t see. I used to fret over this but no more! I’ve been sold on a Klein Butterfly as an effective solution to aiptasias, thanks to @vetteguy53081

I have one of these guys in every tank — fear no more! I’m no longer stressed out about aiptasias knowing that they will be wiped out. Besides, Klein Butterfly is a beautiful fish! Unless a Copperband, which is a picky eater, this one eats normal food.

Good luck!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the conch but I just picked up a small maxima clam last night that had little aiptasia in the flutes of the shell. I was able to scrape / brush them off. I think I got them all but I'm not really afraid of them as I already have some. I actually have one in a sump that I feed.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely have aiptasias since their little babies can hide in crevices that you can’t see. I used to fret over this but no more! I’ve been sold on a Klein Butterfly as an effective solution to aiptasias, thanks to @vetteguy53081

I have one of these guys in every tank — fear no more! I’m no longer stressed out about aiptasias knowing that they will be wiped out. Besides, Klein Butterfly is a beautiful fish! Unless a Copperband, which is a picky eater, this one eats normal food.

Good luck!
Do you keep coral? Everything I've read say they are not reef safe and will much on coral

OP
OP
aslmx

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
What size tank do you have? I’d love to have a copper band but not sure he could thrive in a 50 gallon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back