Aptasia question

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question, I have something in my tank, I am not able to get a pic because it is at the back wall, about 8 inches in, so no way to get close enough. But it is very small, maybe between 1/4” and 3/8”. Definitely has tentacles. But the color is kind of burgundy. Is there a chance this is aptasia? Or something else? I think it is attached to a piece of macro algae, so I can get it out if need be. I just don’t want to remove something worth while.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When in doubt, take it out. I wouldn't risk it and rather just remove it to be honest if it's an easy removal. A picture would be the only way for confirmation though. Best of luck :)

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another question on this subject, when I removed the piece of macro algae that had the aptasia on it, I apparently also got some OTHER living creature, it honestly looks like a pile or bright red thread! But it moves, so I am guessing some kind of worm? Anyone have any idea?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So another question on this subject, when I removed the piece of macro algae that had the aptasia on it, I apparently also got some OTHER living creature, it honestly looks like a pile or bright red thread! But it moves, so I am guessing some kind of worm? Anyone have any idea?
Sounds like a spaghetti worm

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• red worms 1.jpg
    red worms 1.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 47
  • red worms 2.JPG
    red worms 2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 53

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of questions here:

-So the whole mass moves?

-Does it move as a whole, a colony, or as individual critters/parts?

-Any chance of microscope pics?

-Is it possible it's spaghetti/hair worm appendages coming out of a hole/burrow in there?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of questions here:

-So the whole mass moves?

-Does it move as a whole, a colony, or as individual critters/parts?

-Any chance of microscope pics?

-Is it possible it's spaghetti/hair worm appendages coming out of a hole/burrow in there?
So, I have since pitched it, unfortunately. but, this morning when i still had it in a cup, it looked as though legs (for lack of a better way to put it) moved independently, but it looked as though they may be legs of a whole. If that makes any since. It moved as a mass with legs, not independent of each other.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looked as though legs (for lack of a better way to put it) moved independently, but it looked as though they may be legs of a whole. If that makes any since. It moved as a mass with legs, not independent of each other.
That makes sense - so with whole mass moving, was all of it outside of the substrate, or could part of it (like the main body of a spaghetti worm, for example) have been burrowed inside?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense - so with whole mass moving, was all of it outside of the substrate, or could part of it (like the main body of a spaghetti worm, for example) have been burrowed inside?
yes, honestly it was a COMPLETE surprise to me! i removed the algae plant in hopes of getting the aptasia out, undisturbed. and later that evening, i noticed the red legged thing in the cup as well. i did not even SEE it when it was in the tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, honestly it was a COMPLETE surprise to me! i removed the algae plant in hopes of getting the aptasia out, undisturbed. and later that evening, i noticed the red legged thing in the cup as well. i did not even SEE it when it was in the tank.
If it was all out of the substrate, it may have been a clump of polychaetes (bristleworms; some species that I haven't been able to ID yet are known for moving as a whole despite being separate organisms, and they often form very complex shapes); if part of it was in the substrate, then it may have been a hair worm or spaghetti worm.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was all out of the substrate, it may have been a clump of polychaetes (bristleworms; some species that I haven't been able to ID yet are known for moving as a whole despite being separate organisms, and they often form very complex shapes); if part of it was in the substrate, then it may have been a hair worm or spaghetti worm.
thank you, and i think ALL of it was in the substrate,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looke like a spaghetti worm to me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back