Aptasia removal idea

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a contractor and pretty creative. I had 4 aptasia in my 350 gallon reef tank. Not being satisfied with anything I could find about the removal of them I started thinking about it. Devised a plan that I believe will work. I got my shop vac and with a few plumbing fittings dropped the hose down to a 1/2 clear tubing. Thoughts are suck it out and if it tries to spread that also will get sucked out therefore no risk of spreading. I took out three of them smooth as can be. Waiting and hoping it worked with no spreading. Would love to hear your thoughts on this process.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking the amount of suction produced by the vac through a 1/2 line is enough for complete removal. Got my fingers crossed but it looked pretty clean when done.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know a Copper Banded Butterfly fish will eliminate them the natural way. Feed them at least twice a day. Beautiful fish! Have had mine for years. No aptasias. :)
Won’t they get our corals tho?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t they get our corals tho?
No, they are real peaceful. I’ve never had an issue with mine. I have two medium size clams. Sps corals , Gorgonians, euphillias etc. all is well.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forget the sucking idea..all you will do is spread them...then you'll have hundreds...

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband cleaned my tank of aiptasia too. Like _everything_ and there was quite a lot. But a finicky eater. Not really a beginner fish fwiw.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband cleaned my tank of aiptasia too. Like _everything_ and there was quite a lot. But a finicky eater. Not really a beginner fish fwiw.
Thanks for the input, I want to find something to cure the problem but I probably have well over 100 corals in my tank and really don’t want to risk hurting them so reef safe is a must.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I want to find something to cure the problem but I probably have well over 100 corals in my tank and really don’t want to risk hurting them so reef safe is a must.
Keep us posted on your shop vac idea!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe to the max! For years! Zoom in on photo you’ll see CBB right in front of my grandson. ( must feed at least twice a day and keep the tank flow “moderate” as other fish will out compete these fish for food. Like Tangs and Damsels.
94B3D6E7-7190-4433-84A2-BBF6C5E6AADD.jpeg

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe to the max! For years! Zoom in on photo you’ll see CBB right in front of my grandson. ( must feed at least twice a day and keep the tank flow “moderate” as other fish will out compete these fish for food. Like Tangs and Damsels.
94B3D6E7-7190-4433-84A2-BBF6C5E6AADD.jpeg
Very nice tank . You running reef breeder lights ?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back