Aptasia removal

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive spotted what looks like an aptasia from the various picks on seen on the forum, any thoughts on killing the power head with the tank ought off and placing the syphon tube right at it, and when the water starts to draw pluck him off hoping anything it releases is caught in the syphon draw. Looking to do this next water change, I've only spotted one and he's nestled pretty close to one of my green star polyp, also no pics available for identification as it's in a perfect spot on my rock to get only a topside shot of the aptasia.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take rock out and douse with gasoline and set it ablaze!

Kidding aside the zaptazia gel some have had success with didn't work well for me. Mine came back quickly. I've been thru an entire bottle since April and mine are double what they were. Hopefully my new CBB will help.

Theyvare pretty stuck to the rock and shrink up very quickly.

sent from my Galaxy with Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly something to keep in mind I've seen all kinds of remedies proposed from lemon juice or hot water injections to the kalk and zaptasia mentioned here. As far as removing the rock and setting it ablaze, well that's a last resort option as its one of the base rocks for my arch. It would be located on the left side base.

Attachments

• image-2079928112.jpg
    image-2079928112.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that is just a picture I have giving the best view of what I'm talking about which was taken when I first got the tank setup for cycling.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdvm. That was cool. Ive tried pastes in the mouth but never a hypodermic needle.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zaptasia has worked well for many folks. Key is to encompass the whole thing. Remember, for every Aptasia you can see there are many many more in your tank, so expect to do battle. With any ALK based method, if you do not get them to ingest (they close fast) then it doesn't kll them and causes them to spore immediately. What I liked about zaptasia is as long as you get the mouth and tentacles covered, it melts them and contains the spores.

OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds kinda rough, might want to consider moving my green star polyp sitting precariously below it.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy. I thought it worked the first few times burning had them come back. Some even invasion small hole in the rock and I completely cemented them in. Still came back. I maybtry the hypodermic route next. We will see ...

ReefDVMs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdvm. That was cool. Ive tried pastes in the mouth but never a hypodermic needle.

Thanks, we in think it works very well and its a very localized way of doing it for mant things, and well of course it fun to see them explode.
Sorry, the link uploaded before but this time I got the youtube thing figured out so the vidoe actually shows up on the post...darn newbie I am.

[video=youtube;nFFpBRVOZ_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFFpBRVOZ_0[/video]

OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*happy dance* picked up a peppermint shrimp this saturday for my 20 gallon with aptasia, got home today and a friend noticed that 3 of the aptasia were gone, including the first one i ever noticed in my tank, so yeah, pretty excited for that. all i did was feed minimally so that the fish only received food and nothing reached the bottom, i suppose after a while he got hungry, next step was to remove an aptasia and soak it in food, then put it in a small container with the shrimp until he ate it, glad he came to his senses and took the easy route lol.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*happy dance* picked up a peppermint shrimp this saturday for my 20 gallon with aptasia, got home today and a friend noticed that 3 of the aptasia were gone, including the first one i ever noticed in my tank, so yeah, pretty excited for that. all i did was feed minimally so that the fish only received food and nothing reached the bottom, i suppose after a while he got hungry, next step was to remove an aptasia and soak it in food, then put it in a small container with the shrimp until he ate it, glad he came to his senses and took the easy route lol.

I also had good luck with peppermint

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was real excited, I thought I was going to have to fight to get the shrimp out and give him another pep talk. "YOU SEE THAT APTASIA, that is THE enemy, are you gonna let him live in your house, I don't think so, get to it!" Lol

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in late on the thread but ive always used peppermint shrimp for mine and the added bonus is i try to get a prego one so it can fed my reef with stuff you cant normally get, live peppermint shrimp babys.

OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in late on the thread but ive always used peppermint shrimp for mine and the added bonus is i try to get a prego one so it can fed my reef with stuff you cant normally get, live peppermint shrimp babys.
lol, there's a thought, i'm hoping to get something similar to that going on with my clowns, i picked up 2 small clowns at the same time from the same tank, i'm not expecting anything magical to happen, but if i get eggs, free tank food!

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was real excited, I thought I was going to have to fight to get the shrimp out and give him another pep talk. "YOU SEE THAT APTASIA, that is THE enemy, are you gonna let him live in your house, I don't think so, get to it!" Lol

Lol "pep" talk..get it

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, there's a thought, i'm hoping to get something similar to that going on with my clowns, i picked up 2 small clowns at the same time from the same tank, i'm not expecting anything magical to happen, but if i get eggs, free tank food!

indeed, and after a while you might get some fry to rear and eventually maybe sell the babies, who knows???

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back