Aqua Top 40G Equipment

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Just picked up the 6 year old's first tank, an Aqua Top 40G and was wondering if anyone else that had one had some suggestions for the following:

1) SPS capable light that would fit like the existing one (The glass lid must remain as it currently sits)
2) Return pump max flow? - I am eyeballing a 400 GPH pump I found to get around 9x per hour turnover as the stock one is vastly underpowered.
3) Anyone have a suggestion for a hang on protein skimmer that would fit in place of the stock one? The stock one seems to leave a bit to be desired.

Overall minus some levelling I need to do (forgot amid the kiddo rushing me lol) so it sits even its off to a great start, figured I would upgrade things as needed though while we are in the building phase. :cool:

On a stock note, Suggestions for a smaller slow growing tang? And before the Tang police jump on this it would be moved to one of the several 125s, or the 300 display when it got big enough, just figured if I could find him a slow growing one it would allow him to enjoy it in his for longer before being moved.

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be looking into what mounting options you have for the light. Most will have to be higher over the tank due to the suggested mounting height.

Your first word was SPS so my first recommendation is going to be a single kessil a360x should be enough for that footprint. They also have a mounting arm that is slightly similar to the one you have. Just taller.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a radion xr15 gen 5 (or some hybrid like a kessil a360x with the 24 inch reef brite hybrid kit).

For a skimmer, I would just try without one or consider macroalgae (you could probably put a coarse sponge in the back and put it where the skimmer normally is).

For a pump, maybe try a sicce syncra. A tiny dc pump would be nicer.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back