Aqua Ultraviolet UV - 25W plumbing question

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. i just bought a Aqua Ultraviolet UV and have a plumbing question. The fittings allow for either a 3/4" or 1/2" tubing or rigid pipe. I will be using this UV for both low flow and high flow depending on needs. What I am wondering is if it is ok to use 1/2" plumbing from the input pump and output return to the sump or should I go with 3/4"? Was curious if 1/2" would limit the GPH?..

any info is much appreciated...
Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. i just bought a Aqua Ultraviolet UV and have a plumbing question. The fittings allow for either a 3/4" or 1/2" tubing or rigid pipe. I will be using this UV for both low flow and high flow depending on needs. What I am wondering is if it is ok to use 1/2" plumbing from the input pump and output return to the sump or should I go with 3/4"? Was curious if 1/2" would limit the GPH?..

any info is much appreciated...
Thanks!

Hi from another Charlotte person and aqua uv user.

I plumbed mine branched off of my return. I ended my pvc into a gate valve then the 3/4 inch barb. I would not use the 1/2. I would use the 3/4 inch and have some way to adjust flow either with a dc pump or valve somewhere along the line.

When you are adjusting your uv flow, don’t adjust based on the water flow you want. The water flow thru the uvc will be based on what you want it to accomplish. Things like algae control or parasite control take different flow rates.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from another Charlotte person and aqua uv user.

I plumbed mine branched off of my return. I ended my pvc into a gate valve then the 3/4 inch barb. I would not use the 1/2. I would use the 3/4 inch and have some way to adjust flow either with a dc pump or valve somewhere along the line.

When you are adjusting your uv flow, don’t adjust based on the water flow you want. The water flow thru the uvc will be based on what you want it to accomplish. Things like algae control or parasite control take different flow rates.

Hope that helps
Hello and thanks for the info. So in regards to flow, this is a new tank setup with Dino's being the ugly stage right now. So for algae, what flow rates do you use?...there seems to be alot of conflicting language out there.

I plumbed mine today the same. I have two extra existing branches that tap off the return for future needs, one of which is now going to be used to feed the UV until I decide to add a dedicated pump. I have a Jebao return pump that I will increase the output as needed. Feeding output of UV back into far left chamber of sump.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back