Aqua UV inline input

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This is my first foray into serious UV sterilizers. I acquired an aqua UV 57watt for my zoa trough. Trough is about 180 gals. A mag drive 18 is plumbed directly through a wall (with about 2 feet of head) and into and Aqua C ev 240 skimmer. From there gravity drains water from the sump back to the trough.

I’m mainly targeting protozoan/bacteria, the suggested flow rate is between 1066 gph and 2200.

The specs for the mag drive would suggest I’m at about 1700 gph. I’m currently running the skimmer fully open and I’m very pleased with where I’m at.

I’m looking for insight as to whether I should 1) plumb this inline or add an additional dedicated pump closer to that 1066 gph floor (and increase contact time). 2) if I do plumb it inline I’m wondering how detrimental this will be to the aqua C given its a downdraft skimmer. The configuration I have allows me to keep additional plumbing/head to a minimum. 3) if I do opt for a second pump I’d like recommendations, specifically, if there’s a sweet spot people have found in the flow rates (1066-2200 gph is still a wide margin for protozoan/bacterial targeting) that’s more beneficial to corals than another ie is the floor or ceiling better to aim for?

Thanks!

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first foray into serious UV sterilizers. I acquired an aqua UV 57watt for my zoa trough. Trough is about 180 gals. A mag drive 18 is plumbed directly through a wall (with about 2 feet of head) and into and Aqua C ev 240 skimmer. From there gravity drains water from the sump back to the trough.

I’m mainly targeting protozoan/bacteria, the suggested flow rate is between 1066 gph and 2200.

The specs for the mag drive would suggest I’m at about 1700 gph. I’m currently running the skimmer fully open and I’m very pleased with where I’m at.

I’m looking for insight as to whether I should 1) plumb this inline or add an additional dedicated pump closer to that 1066 gph floor (and increase contact time). 2) if I do plumb it inline I’m wondering how detrimental this will be to the aqua C given its a downdraft skimmer. The configuration I have allows me to keep additional plumbing/head to a minimum. 3) if I do opt for a second pump I’d like recommendations, specifically, if there’s a sweet spot people have found in the flow rates (1066-2200 gph is still a wide margin for protozoan/bacterial targeting) that’s more beneficial to corals than another ie is the floor or ceiling better to aim for?

Thanks!

Might a dedicated adjustable pump through your UV sterilizer as well timing provide better targeting? Timing to allow various organisms to populate and at times to prevent them.
I'd recommend a valve to adjust flow through UV sterilizer but head pressure could shorten pump life.
Point of interest, running too fast of flow past a heater might decrease thermal efficiency. As well too fast a flow might decrease cooling. To maximize exposure time whether by decreased flow, twisting route to maximize exposure around an UV bulb, or by creating turbulence of water to slow flow theoretically accomplishes same goal.
If correct @littlebigreef you desire to target certain bacteria/algae and for such flow adjust-ability/flexibility becomes most desirable. An UV flow/pump system independent/autonomous might provide best option w/out any detrimental effect to your other systems.
I use a Coral Life Turbo Twist design for my tank. I am convinced less resistance but maximum exposure time to UV was most efficiently designed (pump consideration). Of course other alternative exists increase UV intensity over pump rate of flow.
I do not know if charts/research exists which show frequency of living organisms and at what frequency for how long before either killing cells, making them bald, or sterilizing them but such data could be useful.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back