Aquabiomics Results. Should i be concerned?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my aquabiomics results in. After reading about one of the families detected that seems to be in abundance, I am really hesitant to stick my hands back in the tank. The link says it is linked to leprosy and tuberculosis! :astonished-face:

Should I be concerned?
Here are the results.
Aquabiomics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my aquabiomics results in. After reading about one of the families detected that seems to be in abundance, I am really hesitant to stick my hands back in the tank. The link says it is linked to leprosy and tuberculosis! :astonished-face:

Should I be concerned?
Here are the results.
Aquabiomics

Regardless of any such testing, which IMO is not of much practical use, I recommend that folks protect themselves from infections from pathogens in their tank water by not getting open wounds wet, and using gloves.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family. Not species or even genus. Standard answer applies here: Condition vague burn it down out of an abundance of caution. Use IPA for a clean indoor burn. Whole house not just the tank. Why risk it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mycobacteriaum are located literally everywhere. in soils, in water (both fresh and salt) as well as inside plants and animals. Not every species out of the almost 200 in the genus are pathogenic. no need to be worried. just wash your hands after going into the tank and dont go in with open wounds.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did swab these bubbles on one of my acropora when I sent the sample in. perhaps, this is some sort of fungal infection?
20230906_181912.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did swab these bubbles on one of my acropora when I sent the sample in. perhaps, this is some sort of fungal infection?
20230906_181912.jpg
mycobacteria are bacterial not fungal. ignore how it sounds close to mycology (mushrooms/fungi)

Edit: this is why its called that
"The Greek prefix myco- means 'fungus', alluding to this genus' mold-like colony surfaces.[3] Since this genus has cell walls with a waxy lipid-rich outer layer that contains high concentrations of mycolic acid,[4] acid-fast staining is used to emphasize their resistance to acids, compared to other cell types.[5]"

basically the first person to describe it thought it looked kind of like mold so called it "mold-like"

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mycobacteria are bacterial not fungal. ignore how it sounds close to mycology (mushrooms/fungi)

Edit: this is why its called that
"The Greek prefix myco- means 'fungus', alluding to this genus' mold-like colony surfaces.[3] Since this genus has cell walls with a waxy lipid-rich outer layer that contains high concentrations of mycolic acid,[4] acid-fast staining is used to emphasize their resistance to acids, compared to other cell types.[5]"

basically the first person to describe it thought it looked kind of like mold so called it "mold-like"

Ohhhh. You're right! I immediately thought "mycelium" when I read that.

Either way, interesting results, considering the weird tissue abnormalities I have been getting.
I think I'm gonna get some elbow-length gloves today regardless...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mycobacteriaum are located literally everywhere. in soils, in water (both fresh and salt) as well as inside plants and animals. Not every species out of the almost 200 in the genus are pathogenic. no need to be worried. just wash your hands after going into the tank and dont go in with open wounds.
That’s my biggest problem.. my hands are cut up daily at work “welder, fabricator” and when I get in my tank I always just wash them well afterwords and use peroxide on all my cuts.. if I don’t they get tender quick :rolleyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Either way, interesting results, considering the weird tissue abnormalities I have been getting.

FWIW, natural seawater is estimated to contain 50 million viruses per teaspoon.

There are far more viruses on and in the human body than there are bacteria.

Many of the worst human diseases are viral.

Reef hobbyists seemingly have a hierarchy of thinking of what is causing problems in their tanks that may be exactly reversed from reality:

1. Chemical issues in the water
2. Pathogenic bacteria in the water
3. Viral pathogens in the water

It may well be that the order should be swapped top to bottom. :)

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my biggest problem.. my hands are cut up daily at work “welder, fabricator” and when I get in my tank I always just wash them well afterwords and use peroxide on all my cuts.. if I don’t they get tender quick :rolleyes:
I hear ya brother. Been a mechanic going on 20 years. I'm religious about washing my hands/arms before and after I'm in the tank. Haven't gone the peroxide route, just use antibacterial soap.

Reef hobbyists seemingly have a hierarchy of thinking of what is causing problems in their tanks that may be exactly reversed from reality:

This is a very good point! Yet, another point for wearing gloves!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel like I need to take a shower after reading that :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @GlassMunky said, you've been exposed to Mycobacteria all of your life. I could take your blood and measure thousands of antibodies against Mycobacterial proteins. Your odds of getting TB or leprosy from your fish tank are, perhaps, not zero but likely indistinguishable from nil. I'll be happy to publish a case study on you and your tank though if you do get it! ;-p

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same…. Glass working…

I honestly don’t even sweat it anymore if I have tiny cuts as long as they aren’t fresh and open. I just wash my hands really well after.
Sometimes if I feel like I’ve got grease or something from the lathe on my hands I’ll clean them off with alcohol and then rinse well with water rather than using soap before going into the tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agree with others - there are lots of species of mycobacteria (which is a Genus (the only genus in the family Mycobacteriaceae)). Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium leprae cause TB and leprosy respectively. The main mycobacteria in reef tanks (thats pathogenic) is mycobacterium marinium - which can cause a difficult to treat skin infection.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back