AquaController Jr Posessed by Satan?!?

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neptune Aquatroller Jr that I use to control my lights, heater, skimmer, and return pump on a 36G Elos Midi. I've been using it for about three months, but over the last couple of weeks it's been making the LEDs flash briefly and intermittently in an erratic fashion at night, once the lights are programmed to be "off". I can't seem to figure out why this is happening or how to correct it. While lightning storms are a cute novelty on some controllers, this is just plain annoying. :squigglemouth:

Has anyone had a similar problem with Neptune or other controllers, and does anybody have any ideas as to how I could exorcise these demons from my controller so my fish and corals can sleep in peace?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a RKL and it had similar problems when the connectors got wet. You might want to pull the usb ports out between modules and see if there is any corrosion.

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move your controller as far away as possible, you getting to much interference from your lights ballast most likely, there is a menu you can check the interference it should read in the low 60's.. I just went through this with my ACJR.. to get to the menu go
self test> select
acjr Neptune's systems Will be displayed- click select again
it will read some numbers with the version, click up, up, down, down then select
after that, click up twice to get to the Control Stat menu, click select
whats your "SY" Value, anything over 67 is no good and will cause your ACJR to wig out.. HTH..

OP
OP
D

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a RKL and it had similar problems when the connectors got wet. You might want to pull the usb ports out between modules and see if there is any corrosion.

It appears as if all of the connectors are shipshape and corrosion free. Thanks for the input though, Swannyson. My only course of action is to try and identify any and all potential problems, and then try to fix/change whatever I can.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check on the interference levels as DML08 suggested? I'm curious to know if my apex has this self test as well, but I can't find anything in the menus.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to someone else who had this problem and from what it sounded like was the lights weren't shutting off all they way. I think it had to do with the PC4 from D.A.
Try plugging it into a different outlet on your strip with a stronger relay switch that won't allow stray voltage through.

OP
OP
D

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check on the interference levels as DML08 suggested? I'm curious to know if my apex has this self test as well, but I can't find anything in the menus.

That is indeed the next course of action sir. I just haven't gotten my lazy derrière down on the floor yet to fiddle around with cords, ballasts, and whatnot. I do strongly suspect that some sort of electrical interference may be at the root of this issue, as these bizarre lighting outbursts just reek of some sort of unusual electrical disturbance in the force. However, if this self-test doesn't help, them I'm going to try and switch around the outlet assignments in the powerstrip, in a "musical outlets" knd of way. Hopefully when the music stops, my lights will be happy once again....

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree on moving them around to see if that helps, i hope you and figure out. keep us updated and let us know if find the problem. wish you luck.
greg

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with the power supply to my Icecap 45" moonlights. The power supply was bad and was causing the LEDs to strobe like an airport in fog. Is this on all your lights or just one?

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check your SY value before moving anything, I was in the same spot about 1 month ago, I thought my ballast was bad, then I thought it was the DC8.. before moving anything just check the SY numbers, only takes 10 sec..

OP
OP
D

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check your SY value before moving anything, I was in the same spot about 1 month ago, I thought my ballast was bad, then I thought it was the DC8.. before moving anything just check the SY numbers, only takes 10 sec..

I'll certainly do that.

And it's funny you mention a bad ballast. Just to muddy the waters a bit, I seem to have had a 5 month old LED power supply that just went bad concurrently. Although Occam's razor would dictate that this is highly unlikely, it is indeed the case. I can't help but wonder if the rapid on and off power switching may have contributed to the early failure of the power supply. However, the properly working power supply is still being strobified by the demon-possessed controller.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back