Aquaforest Reef Salt

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this for an extended period of time in a large mixing container? I have been using Tropic Marin Pro, however I can't always get it when I need it. I recently got a bucket of the Aquaforest because it is always available at my LFS. Both salts are close to the parameters I want, however in the long term it is important to me not to have crud buildup in my mixing containers. Never had a problem with the Tropic Pro, and since they are both synthetic salts I was hoping AF would also mix clean too.. Please share your experience!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SKYHIGGh - can you answer the OPs question based on your experience with AF salts?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used AF for about 2 years, their reef salt. The first year I used simple 5 gallon buckets and after a few months noticed a light brown coating starting to form and used vinegar to clean (never rinsed out after using). I upgraded to a Brute mixing station and again 4-6 months later noticed the entire container covered in a similar light brown precipitate. I hate cleaning the Brutes out as my salt container is not in the best location and switch to Tropic Marine for this reason.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this for an extended period of time in a large mixing container? I have been using Tropic Marin Pro, however I can't always get it when I need it. I recently got a bucket of the Aquaforest because it is always available at my LFS. Both salts are close to the parameters I want, however in the long term it is important to me not to have crud buildup in my mixing containers. Never had a problem with the Tropic Pro, and since they are both synthetic salts I was hoping AF would also mix clean too.. Please share your experience!

Just curious, why do you care about "crud buildup"?

FWIW, normal IO won't accumulate any solids if you add some muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate to drop the alk and pH.

OP
OP
Nevets9333

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why do you care about "crud buildup"?

FWIW, normal IO won't accumulate any solids if you add some muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate to drop the alk and pH.

I am referring to the brown precipitate that @Big C mentioned. The longer I can go without having to clean out the 50g containers the better.

OP
OP
Nevets9333

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used AF for about 2 years, their reef salt. The first year I used simple 5 gallon buckets and after a few months noticed a light brown coating starting to form and used vinegar to clean (never rinsed out after using). I upgraded to a Brute mixing station and again 4-6 months later noticed the entire container covered in a similar light brown precipitate. I hate cleaning the Brutes out as my salt container is not in the best location and switch to Tropic Marine for this reason.
Thank you! Sounds like ill use the bucket I have then go back to Tropic Pro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had the opposite issue in which I can easily Find Tropic Marin but not the AF,
I think the AF salt was excellent and used with their supplements showed great results.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good results with Tropic Marine and still mix up and use the AF 3 part Components with Tropic Marine. I just got tired of the brown crud left (seemed like some sort of hard deposit that was easily clean with a weak acid).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am referring to the brown precipitate that @Big C mentioned. The longer I can go without having to clean out the 50g containers the better.

Still, why do you want to clean it out? I know many people do, I'm just trying to understand the rationale.

OP
OP
Nevets9333

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good results with Tropic Marine and still mix up and use the AF 3 part Components with Tropic Marine. I just got tired of the brown crud left (seemed like some sort of hard deposit that was easily clean with a weak acid).

Same boat. I use AF 3 part and ABEV with tropic Pro salt. Love it so far.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for years for the price. Until recently I switched to Aquaforest salt. I had elevated phosphate levels in my tank using IO salt. I tested the salt in the mixing container with the crud build up. Phosphates was at 0.24. I cleaned my container and switched salts. Aquaforest is what my LFS had. So that is what I'm using now. Got 0 phosphates with the new salt.

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used AF for the 3-4 years my current tank has been up. I’ve used the probiotic a couple of times but mainly the regular reef salt. Used the same brute trash can the whole time and have never cleaned it out. The bottom half where the water level comes up to is slightly stained a brownish color but I’ve never had any issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just time and hassel of having to do it. If I see the buildup it will constantly drive me crazy.

OK, sounds like a psychological problem, not a salt problem. lol

OP
OP
Nevets9333

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for years for the price. Until recently I switched to Aquaforest salt. I had elevated phosphate levels in my tank using IO salt. I tested the salt in the mixing container with the crud build up. Phosphates was at 0.24. I cleaned my container and switched salts. Aquaforest is what my LFS had. So that is what I'm using now. Got 0 phosphates with the new salt.
Thanks! How long have you been using AF now?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whether real or not (I am very skeptical that 0.24 ppm came from the salt), that is a trivially small amount of phosphate relative to foods that add far more.

OP
OP
Nevets9333

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used AF for the 3-4 years my current tank has been up. I’ve used the probiotic a couple of times but mainly the regular reef salt. Used the same brute trash can the whole time and have never cleaned it out. The bottom half where the water level comes up to is slightly stained a brownish color but I’ve never had any issues.
Interesting. 3-4 years is a long time to never have to clean it out. I wonder of heating the water plays a roll. Is yours constantly being heated with flow?

Snorkelsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used AF salt for 2+ years and I have never cleaned my container. There is a slight brown color but nothing like the crap I had build up on me when I used reef crystals. I could see the brown through the white storage container with the RC, the AF I can only see it when I look inside the container.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How long have you been using AF now?
Only used one 200 gal box so far. It mixes quickly and easy. Parameters mix up to parameters that SPS keepers want. Everyone has a preference on salt doesn't mean its for every reefer. But every reefer keep different coral. Some softies, leathers. Others SPS only. Tanks that require more stability.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back