AquaIllumination Blade Announced

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a spike at 395nm just as the Radions claim. Looks to me like the Blades hit the exact spectrum they claim to have.
That's a Gen 4, bud. There's no 395nm spike. Even the Gen 6 doesn't have a "spike." It's more of a blend into the ramp of the 415nm.

Anyway, this is a comparison of the spectrum AI claims to have vs actual. The spectrum is the two Blades running all channels at 100%. The trace is the marketing spectrum.

Blade-combined-vs-AI-marketing.jpg
ai-blade-coralGrowGlow-wspectrum-1800px.jpg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Gen 4, bud. There's no 395nm spike. Even the Gen 6 doesn't have a "spike." It's more of a blend into the ramp of the 415nm.

Anyway, this is a comparison of the spectrum AI claims to have vs actual. The spectrum is the two Blades running all channels at 100%. The trace is the marketing spectrum.

Blade-combined-vs-AI-marketing.jpg
ai-blade-coralGrowGlow-wspectrum-1800px.jpg

Ope.

Maybe 2 Glows at 100% and a Grow at 50% would get closer to the marketing spectrum. ;)

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ope.

Maybe 2 Glows at 100% and a Grow at 50% would get closer to the marketing spectrum. ;)
Maybe, but then I'd be making reality fit marketing. They used the spectrums of the lights captured individually and overlayed them. Given that the Grow puts out more light, the scale shifts in its favor. When combined over a tank, with all channels running at 100%, they'd look like the spectrum I've shared. Testing error...nope. Misunderstanding...nope. Misleading...AI's marketing, totally.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but then I'd be making reality fit marketing. They used the spectrums of the lights captured individually and overlayed them. Given that the Grow puts out more light, the scale shifts in its favor. When combined over a tank, with all channels running at 100%, they'd look like the spectrum I've shared. Testing error...nope. Misunderstanding...nope. Misleading...AI's marketing, totally.
AI or any large respected lighting manufacturer misleading customers, surely not.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They just overlaid the spectrums, which was disappointing to see.

The grow still looks a little too blue to me (just basing off the number of 470nm LEDs). If I get one, I will have to run that channel close to 50%. The perfect daylight look for me was alternating 420nm, 470nm, cool white LEDs.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
misleading customers
Surely they shouldn’t, but they do. The customer would have to have the devices to decide for themselves how they feel about the marketing. Sadly most don’t.

As @Acros suggests, the marketing is simply stacked spectrums of the individual lights and now how the lights would present when combined.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely they shouldn’t, but they do. The customer would have to have the devices to decide for themselves how they feel about the marketing. Sadly most don’t.

As @Acros suggests, the marketing is simply stacked spectrums of the individual lights and now how the lights would present when combined.
I was being sarcastic towards the companies who think it's acceptable to peddle false or misleading information. You are correct that few people myself included would spot it with light spectrum and wavelengths.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kind of like how BRS lowered a few channels on the Sky to make the low end look fuller than it actually was. I've learned to see through a lot of the marketing BS these days, and there is a LOT of it in reef tank lighting.

Again, I'm actually disappointed, personally. I was hoping for big things from the Blade, as it really is the light (form factor, coverage, controllability, etc) that I've been waiting for. I have no doubt they will grow coral, but they're just not for me.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I'm actually disappointed, personally. I was hoping for big things from the Blade, as it really is the light (form factor, coverage, controllability, etc) that I've been waiting for. I have no doubt they will grow coral, but they're just not for me.

It has to be a calculation they made to not cut into Radion and Hydra sales otherwise why give it less spectrum than a Prime, right?? A couple warm whites and 420 and they could be THE light.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of like how BRS lowered a few channels on the Sky to make the low end look fuller than it actually was. I've learned to see through a lot of the marketing BS these days, and there is a LOT of it in reef tank lighting.

same here I wanted these to be my light for the new build. I feel as they will work for your only light it's meant to be ad on to your crazy $800 G something or other.

IDK I might still end up with a pair if the other half cant stand the light spill of the set of primes. we will see.
It has to be a calculation they made to not cut into Radion and Hydra sales otherwise why give it less spectrum than a Prime, right?? A couple warm whites and 420 and they could be THE light.
my thoughts too. so close yet so far away. I bet there will be a pro /HD version

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through the whole thread I'm not sure either lol! I was on the fence of a combination of the 2 but waiting to see what others say.
Me too, actually I was in the fence of 2 radions XR15 with 2 AI Blades.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet with 4 lights you will be fine.
what I am on the fence about is 2 blades as the only light. gonna wait a few more weeks to see some real world use cases.
Well after what I'm seeing, apparently I will be fine with just 2 ReeFi, but same as you, I'm waiting to see more reviews of the Blades.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone measured the length of the light panel vs the black frame end sections yet? Trying to gauge actual size of lighting area.

xCROv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after what I'm seeing, apparently I will be fine with just 2 ReeFi, but same as you, I'm waiting to see more reviews of the Blades.
Ping me if you do. I'm really liking the ReeFi stuff, looks to be decent performance for the price range. I think the Blades would be good for fill light though and may eventually evaluate if I want to add them.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone measured the length of the light panel vs the black frame end sections yet? Trying to gauge actual size of lighting area.
Recall hearing each end is 1.5" approximately. That would infer the individual lights are 9", For example, the 30" panel has three light sections which would assume 27" plus both end caps being 3". Did the math across and seems to work.

AI BLADE SIZES.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back