Aquamax HOB 1.5 bubbles issue

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone , running into bit of a problem with an aquamax 1.5 hob skimmer. It works really great and produces a ton of skimmate, the issue is that big bubbles exit out of the pvc tube causing splashes / major salt creep on the side of the tank where the skimmer is , I hope I don’t have to sell it but I hate having a small puddle near the tank or losing salinity due to so much salt creep/splashing. How do I make it so it does not produce big bubbles ?

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have that skimmer. Do you have a photo of how it’s set up?
Maybe someone else has more info.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have that skimmer. Do you have a photo of how it’s set up?
Maybe someone else has more info.
Sorry no photos , I ended up moving it to the sump because the water level is low enough that splashing doesn’t matter lol jus took a bit of space from the refugium

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though you‘ve already found a solution that works for you, Marine Depot does sell a bubble trap attachment for the Aquamaxx HOB skimmers...

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though you‘ve already found a solution that works for you, Marine Depot does sell a bubble trap attachment for the Aquamaxx HOB skimmers...

I don’t feel like buying something like this because I feel it should have been made with the product , to me the skimmer is inherently flawed in that aspect plus it’s like 20$ For some pvc and sponge lol
Thank you for the suggestion however

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries... I ran an Aquamaxx HOB-1 (prior generation of your skimmer) years ago with none of the bubble issues that you have dealt with. So for me, the bubble trap wasn’t necessary. I just wanted to point out that the option to remedy your situation is available from the manufacturer is all. :)

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries... I ran an Aquamaxx HOB-1 (prior generation of your skimmer) years ago with none of the bubble issues that you have dealt with. So for me, the bubble trap wasn’t necessary. I just wanted to point out that the option to remedy your situation is available from the manufacturer is all. :)
Lol strange it must’ve been enough of an issue for them to make the bubble trap but luckily you didn’t have it and luckily I have a sump lol it does skim very well tho!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the performance of that skimmer when I ran it. Just be sure to flush out the volute (the air intake attachment to the pump) regularly as salt creep will build over time if not addressed.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoved some plastic mesh (not foam) down into the outlet tube which solves the problem by a) increasing the internal water level ever so slightly and b) smoothing out the flow to be more laminar on exit

image.jpg

Not a perfect solution and for some reason it needs adjustment every couple of days. But it cuts the bubbles noise and salt spray

Back