Aquamaxx HOB-1 on JBJ Rimless

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are definitely different opinions of how an aquarium should operate. Through trial and error is how many awesome ideas come about :)

We apologize in advance if this is due to our own lack of knowledge, but I am not aware of a need for adequate evaporation, or how stability would be compromised if evaporation is reduced. The overflow from the aquarium to the back chamber as well as surface agitation in the aquarium from water circulation should already provide a good amount of evaporation.

As for the design, we were not aware of a recent change so wanted to verify for ourselves. We were able to find a copy of our 2012 fall catalog (volume 2.) with a powder blue tang on the front cover. On page 36 was a picture of the HOB-1 skimmer with the same outlet pipe design. Other parts of skimmer have been updated (bubble plate, collection cup, bracket): however, it appears that the outlet pipe has remained the same.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the design, we were not aware of a recent change so wanted to verify for ourselves. We were able to find a copy of our 2012 fall catalog (volume 2.) with a powder blue tang on the front cover. On page 36 was a picture of the HOB-1 skimmer with the same outlet pipe design. Other parts of skimmer have been updated (bubble plate, collection cup, bracket): however, it appears that the outlet pipe has remained the same.

This was the old school Aquamaxx Hob-1 - Or at least I've seen this one advertised.

AquaMaxx-HOB-Protein-Skimmer.jpg
I realize now that this image may not be an official Aquamaxx photograph. Therefore might not be assembled correctly.

We apologize in advance if this is due to our own lack of knowledge, but I am not aware of a need for adequate evaporation, or how stability would be compromised if evaporation is reduced. The overflow from the aquarium to the back chamber as well as surface agitation in the aquarium from water circulation should already provide a good amount of evaporation.

LOL. Ok. The middle chamber or the return chamber for the JBJ tank is where I put my ATO sensor. When water evaporates, only the water in the middle/return chamber on the tank, reduces. When water evaporates the salt stays behind causing a slight salinity increase. I use the middle/return chamber for the ATO sensor so that the salinity swing is less. If I raise the water level, it would increase the water surface? If the water surface is greater, it will take more water to evaporate before the auto top off sensor kicks in. That would cause a higher salinity, alk, and pH swing? I know it wouldn't be much higher, but no swing would be nice. All that said, I sort of thought JBJ designed this tank for that very reason? I tried looking for directions on the JBJ rimless and I can't much information on correct water level. So i guess I will let it go for now.

Through trial and error is how many awesome ideas come about

:cool:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the old school Aquamaxx Hob-1 - Or at least I've seen this one advertised.

AquaMaxx-HOB-Protein-Skimmer.jpg
I realize now that this image may not be an official Aquamaxx photograph. Therefore might not be assembled correctly.

U are correct .The new design with bubble plate is different . I tried the newer hob1 on a im fusion 40 n my water level is higher . The skimmer was originally on a jbj 28 rimless. The skimmer had to be modified with piping to extend into the return area plus there was a bubble trap used to curtail micro bubbles. The jbj water level is too low for the skimmer unless u mod it .
The noise drove me bonkers plus the water level bobs up n down causing more more bubbles due to air getting in there from the water level dropping in the skimmer .
I even turned the return outlet at a horizontal angle to raise the inside level as shown similar to someone else prior pic. The skimmer did not work for my im 40 n its back on the jbj 28 rimless.
Imho the skimmer is just too much for these two tanks . So i guess viscosity would matter if u are referring to bioload.
We put the skimmer on the rear of a versa 68 gallon n guess what .It skimmed fine. Go figure .
I was glad my buddy lent me his so I didnt make a purchase error.
No upgrade for me .My tunze 9004 works well

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeferfox:

I agree that the information is lacking and the requirement of the modification was unpleasant. They sell a "bubble stop" for the skimmer In case you have persistent micro bubble issues. I just made my own instead of spending ($30?) more on it. Same concept. I will have to change the filter floss periodically , I assume the sponge would have to be cleaned too so it's whatevs. I should have known that if they offer a bubble stop for sale, it's probably going to be a must have, or there would be no reason to sell it. Oh well, at the end of the day, we have a well working (skimming wise) skimmer that's looks pretty good on our tank. (I'm an optimist [emoji23]). I definitely think right side of the tank is the way to go though. Cheers.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeferfox:

I agree that the information is lacking and the requirement of the modification was unpleasant. They sell a "bubble stop" for the skimmer In case you have persistent micro bubble issues. I just made my own instead of spending ($30?) more on it. Same concept. I will have to change the filter floss periodically , I assume the sponge would have to be cleaned too so it's whatevs. I should have known that if they offer a bubble stop for sale, it's probably going to be a must have, or there would be no reason to sell it. Oh well, at the end of the day, we have a well working (skimming wise) skimmer that's looks pretty good on our tank. (I'm an optimist [emoji23]). I definitely think right side of the tank is the way to go though. Cheers.
TGIF everyone:D, yes I have the sponge and I clean it weekly when I do WC but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. And I agree, as I said in my previous post here it is a great skimmer. I will say when I first got my jbj 30 gal. Even before I bought the skimmer I had the micro bubbles and thanks to @Brian Kim who has a 45 gal. he helped me through getting rid of them which was to make sure the back chambers water levels were high enough.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to raise your water level. I just purchased the same skimmer you have for my Fusion 40. Works beautifully no micro bubbles water comes up 3/4 inch from the return outlet.

The skimmer is king.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my old 20 gallon. Equipped with hob-1 and bubble stopper. I have everything. I didn't think the bubble stopper would fit the JBJ rimless so i never bothered with it. It does kind of suck cleaning the sponge once a week...
20160303_190944-2.jpg

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to raise your water level. I just purchased the same skimmer you have for my Fusion 40. Works beautifully no micro bubbles water comes up 3/4 inch from the return outlet.

The skimmer is king.

Water level doesn't come up any higher without affecting flow through the rest of the filtration system.

Your water level is 3/4" blow the outlet? Does that not sound like a crappy waterfall constantly, and splash salt all over everything? It did mine when the elbow was AT the waterline.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a piece of filter sponge to stop the noise and micro bubbles. My skimmer is on the right between 2nd chamber and outlet to the return.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back