Aquamaxx Reef Welder Product Review

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This review is to help provide information to hobbyists who are interested or may not know what Aquamaxx Reef Welder is and give them a hobbyists point-of-view and honest thoughts on it. I'll be doing a series of reviews on other products as well so stay tuned!

First off this product is an alternative to 2-part epoxys, cements, and other reef glues.

How it works-
IMG_4097.JPG
The plastic pellets have a melting point of 140ºF/62ºC. When melted, the pellets fuse together and become transparent and soft. Once it cools, it becomes opaque* and hard, yet flexible.

It retails starting at $14.99 for the 250ml in white and $18.99 for the 250ml in purple. (Other sizes are available)

Comes in two colors- White or Purple

Pros-
•Does not affect water chemistry
•Will not cause skimmer to overflow
•Can be used over and over so failure is an option
•Strong and can absorb tension without being brittle
•Does not affect aquariums water chemistry or overflow of skimmer
•Non Toxic
•Biodegradable (in soil conditions)

Cons-
•Not the best for gluing corals to frag plugs
•Bit more pricey than 2 part epoxy
•Only available through certain retailers and vendors

My Thoughts-
I ordered this thinking I might go through a lot of it and it may take a lot to get the job done and support rock structures. In the end I have more than half a 250ml container left. It came to me by surprise. Using E Marco 400 in the past and then having a waiting period before I was able to put the rocks in the water and comparing this to a 2 part epoxy that is extremely sticky, smells bad, and makes my skimmer go nuts brings this to the top in terms of what it's capable of. Can be used as soon as it hardens or even before that it can be used in the tank. The idea that if you mess up with a structure it's fairly easy to remove and then heat up some water put it in there and it's basically back to square one. The price difference in 2 part epoxy and Aquamaxx Reef Welder is only dollars apart so it's definitely worth it especially if your someone who has a tendency to change their mind on how their aquascape looks. When it hardens it feels like it's a piece of plastic with good elasticity when it's cured. It's clear when it's ready to be used and turns white or purple (depending color you choose) when cured.

Final Thoughts:
A top competitor when looking to aquascape. Since it's fairly new not many hobbyists are familiar to this product and its capabilities. I would however choose to use this stuff over any cements or 2 part epoxy. Hopefully this review helps you and feel free to comment below if you have any questions or personal experiences.

lariat8099

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of this one of the major cons are you have a hard time gluing and already established reef tank rock structure in case something moves it cures too quick. But works great on the initial build when your rock is dry

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of this one of the major cons are you have a hard time gluing and already established reef tank rock structure in case something moves it cures too quick. But works great on the initial build when your rock is dry

I'm sorry I couldn't understand your experience. You said that it's difficult to glue when in a established tank? Because when it cures quickly you don't have enough time to work with it?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a similar product to this a while back. while cool, it just is not as good in my opinion in a running tank as two part epoxy putty. It may work on dry rock but not in your water. Mine would cool too fast to be worth it. and there is no adhesion to the rock underwater.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a similar product to this a while back. while cool, it just is not as good in my opinion in a running tank as two part epoxy putty. It may work on dry rock but not in your water. Mine would cool too fast to be worth it. and there is no adhesion to the rock underwater.

I agree that it does not have adhesion underwater like super glue and epoxy but it's more easier to spread this into the pores of the rocks to get a better grip and overall hold.

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used quite a bit of it. Had no issues getting to work on rocks in the tank, just make sure it's hot. It's much much stronger than epoxy or two park if you get it into the pores.....strong enough that I have to really struggle to get the rocks apart (I'm 6'3" 265 lol).

It doesn't attract coraline uickly though in my tank, plus I've had poor results trying to pigment it.

Hth's

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the aquaforest version. It can be a pain to use underwater but if you get it screamin hot and work fast it can be done.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I didnt have it hot enough. I did make a clam holder for m large derasa to keep it upright and in place on my bare bottom tank.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get any black algae growing on the reef welder joints?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used quite a bit of it. Had no issues getting to work on rocks in the tank, just make sure it's hot. It's much much stronger than epoxy or two park if you get it into the pores.....strong enough that I have to really struggle to get the rocks apart (I'm 6'3" 265 lol).

It doesn't attract coraline uickly though in my tank, plus I've had poor results trying to pigment it.

Hth's
Hey there. Just curious if coraline algae eventually grew on your white Aquamaxx Reef Welder epoxy?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back