Aquarium based 3D printing Facebook group.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I created a Facebook group for no selling, aquarium specific, 3D printing. I have a few things I'm working on designing that I will share there. As we grow in members, we should see more ideas, files, and discussion. If you have a 3D printer, or want to buy one, and are an aquarist, you will definitely want to join. It's free, and will be a great resource as it grows. Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/A3DPC/

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I created a Facebook group for no selling, aquarium specific, 3D printing. I have a few things I'm working on designing that I will share there. As we grow in members, we should see more ideas, files, and discussion. If you have a 3D printer, or want to buy one, and are an aquarist, you will definitely want to join. It's free, and will be a great resource as it grows. Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/A3DPC/

You may be interested in the thread below that was started by @ludnix ...

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined the group but I will mostly be active here on the forums. Migration to facebook is a real problem for the modern forum so I try to interact on these boards over FB whenever possible.

Interestingly enough, a lot of facebook group admins are consisering migrating to forums due to Facebook's heavy handed approach to group content.

why facebook?

Because the topic is too niche for a dedicated forum, there are no decent groups dedicated to the topic imo, I know how to grow a group after helping my wife grow hers to 32K members, and the Facebook group platform is just better suited for it.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the topic is too niche for a dedicated forum, there are no decent groups dedicated to the topic imo, I know how to grow a group after helping my wife grow hers to 32K members, and the Facebook group platform is just better suited for it.

Good thing R2R exists then...

I mean, really... youre coming here to the most expansive marine aquarium forum, which already has a DIY subforum with many threads on 3d printing and trying to drive traffic to another site? To facebook of all places?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also “3D printing stuff for aquariums and reef tanks” with 600+ members and lots of good files

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also “3D printing stuff for aquariums and reef tanks” with 600+ members and lots of good files

Yes, I saw that one, however it's not very active imo. I'm confident we can create an amazing resource for 3D printing, reef enthusiasts.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mean, really... youre coming here to the most expansive marine aquarium forum, which already has a DIY subforum with many threads on 3d printing and trying to drive traffic to another site? To facebook of all places?

Thank you for your input. The R2R DIY section is great, but cumbersome to use for 3D prints. I am certainly not taking any members away from R2R as the vast majority of members are here for much more than the niche of 3D printing. If you don't feel the group is something you are interested in, feel free to move on. Have a nice day.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I saw that one, however it's not very active imo. I'm confident we can create an amazing resource for 3D printing, reef enthusiasts.

You saw it, albeit briefly.... lol.

It’s pretty active. Posts daily with different designs- and usually by the people who designed them. Not just sharing from thingiverse

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You saw it, albeit briefly.... lol.

It’s pretty active. Posts daily with different designs- and usually by the people who designed them. Not just sharing from thingiverse

It's not active enough for my tastes, and the kinds of postings were not what I was looking for in a group of that kind. If it works for you, feel free to use that one. As for the thingiverse postings, I just opened the group up, so I'm employing the stragies I learned in helping grow another niche group to 33K members as it grows and we nurture a group where people feel at home, less of those posts will be needed. However, there are some very nice prints on Thingiverse that are worth sharingm for the record, I credit every user and only post the ones who use the creative commons licences that allow for sharing. As I've said to others, if you do not feel that my group is a good fit for you, feel free to move on. Have a nice day.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back