Aquarium Child & Pet Safety: What are you doing to stay safe?

Do you have a child or pet that has access to your aquarium?

• Child & Pet

Votes: 94 25.8%
  • Child Only

Votes: 54 14.8%
  • Pet Only

Votes: 86 23.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cat walked into my fish room and got under the cabinet. I looked over and she was sniffing the sump. Next thing I know I here a spash and a streak of lightning fly out the door.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had saltwater before the kids were born and grew up with them. I’ve had new setups since and my son and daughter have a common understanding thanks to Mom, not to touch “Dads stuff”... that’s with everything, the tv, tools, anything of the sort they are hands off - only 1 mishap when my son unplugged a few life support outlets on the power strip for the puffer tank next to the couch to plug in his iPad.

Now they’re 7 and 9, but both never really cared about the tanks other than the occasional peek at new livestock. Attention spans are short and they respect Dad’s hard work. The only thing we have an issue with now as they get bigger, is the running and jumping through the house which rocks the fish tanks...

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just two small dogs.

My biggest concern is that I might drip something on the floor that could cause them harm but I try to be careful. Really, the dogs don't pay much attention to the tank and are pretty good about staying clear when I'm doing maintenance. I think it's just more furniture to them.

A different concern is pet hair that manages to get into everything. Went to mix some new saltwater...dog hair! Did a water change...is that dog hair? Took a pump apart...dog hair wrapped around the impeller. I just learn to live with it.

We did have a cat go for a swim in a freshwater tank years ago. She was only crazy enough to do it once. Water everywhere but thankfully nothing was hurt but the cat's pride.

kipju44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best helper:
2AA0EC2F-D20F-4E2F-A9F2-834F646D904E.jpeg

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept aquariums since I was 7. Now my kindergartner and second-grader help with maintenance, feeding and testing (but I don't let them put their hands in the water due to fear of electrical safety issues). They both love the creatures large and small inside. They actually want a reef tank each of their own. My wife thinks I put them up to saying this so I could have another tank in the house... They are great kids, so I don't need to worry much about them pulling or messing with stuff, unplugging the tank etc. I keep potentially dangerous chemicals out of reach in the garage for peace of mind, although that's more a hangover from when they were toddlers.

We also have two cats, but they have never shown any interest in the tanks.

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 year old and installed handles with a safety lock on my cabinet so that he cannot get into the sump area. I also keep any harmful chemicals either in this area or in the garage on a shelf which he cannot reach.

20201229_105204.jpg

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids have grown up around my aquariums fresh and now saltwater. We've had our mishaps with the tanks, including but not limited to overfeeding, climbing on, bumping into and yes, stand broke and tank went too. Thankfully only a 10gal one. Next stand was built outta 2x4s and ny hubby says, its a brick $^*+ house. So now that the youngers are older and my youngest is 8. There has been a lot of education and whenever there's an overt interest, of course I share knowledge and what is and is not allowed to be done to or for my tank in my absence... which is basically nothing can be done to or for my tank in my absence. So far, everyone has respected my hobby, my pride and joy and also enjoy watching as much as I do.

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids have grown up around my aquariums fresh and now saltwater. We've had our mishaps with the tanks, including but not limited to overfeeding, climbing on, bumping into and yes, stand broke and tank went too. Thankfully only a 10gal one. Next stand was built outta 2x4s and ny hubby says, its a brick $^*+ house. So now that the youngers are older and my youngest is 8. There has been a lot of education and whenever there's an overt interest, of course I share knowledge and what is and is not allowed to be done to or for my tank in my absence... which is basically nothing can be done to or for my tank in my absence. So far, everyone has respected my hobby, my pride and joy and also enjoy watching as much as I do.
Let me add to this, no one in my house, my family, or friends knows anything about fishkeeping, saltwater, reef tanks, etc. So don't be surprised if one day a stranger gets on here and says HELP!!! Come get this tank! That'd be my husband and kids if anything happens to me!! Like for real!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny timing on this one. Probably 16 or 17 years ago, I screwed child safety latches onto the doors of my tank stand. My kid is now 18, and the little plastic safety catches broke years ago. But just this last weekend, I got sick of looking at them and unscrewed them from the cabinet doors, I no longer need to worry wbout my son getting into things, because any safety latch wouldn’t stop him now. He is interested in the tank, but not ready to take over all of the upkeep. I still have time to train him.....

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had Wrought Iron Stands, with Aquariums just on the top, I fastened them to the wall with steel cables. I also did this with anything that was tall and could be toppled over. The Kids never pulled on anything, though. I had a Brat visiting with his mom, got pennies out of her purse, and put them in the tank. Yes, he new exactly what he was doing, and had killed a tank at his school.

Thomthom329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends and happy Monday!

I have been thinking more and more about aquarium safety when it comes to children and pets. I don't have any young children living in my house so it hasn't been too much of a concern for me but lately it's becoming more and more of a thought for me because of my dog, Mr. Bingley. Mr. Bingley loves it when we go feed the fish. He'll beat me down the stairs and to the tank and as I'm preparing the food or even working on stuff in the tank he'll roam around and sniff things. I have a tank room so more things are out in the open and I don't want him "tasting" something he shouldn't be tasting! So can we talk about this today?

1. What are some concerns you have when it comes to kids and pets and your aquarium?

2. What are some safety "protocols" you have in place to safeguard against an accident happening that involves kids or pets?

image via @mykidsclownfish
Picture 006.jpg
Honestly, nothing. They’re not toddlers anymore so they won’t get into the cords/electronics so everyone pretty much has free roam. I mean, it’s just an aquarium.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some mishaps with my kid, he's got autism and tends to be a little unpredictable sometimes. I found a hammer in my tank once. I've now moved my supplies to a locked closet to prevent him from "helping" my tank.

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 11 years ago I had a 150 gallon tank set up, and my wonderful 4 year old thought they should help me feed the fish. This entailed putting a spoon filled with some sort of sugary food and who knows what else in the sump.

Well I lost everything in the tank and decided it best to take the tank down.

I have since returned to the hobby and the 4 year old is now 15 and my other 3 children are old enough to know better than to do something like that. The only issue I had was I left the magnetic cleaner on the tank glass and my wonderful 7 year old decided to clean my glass. This resulted in a few scrapes on the glass.

I will say all my kids are into the tank and throughout the day it is not uncommon to see them by the tank inspecting things and doing a head count of the fish.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is any one concerned about the effect of blue light on kids eyes? I've heard some things about this being bad for their development

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two kids are 7 and 4 and already are educated about most things pertaining to the tank and livestock. If you educate them, and they are interested, and raise them well, they should never want to do any harm to the tank or understand they shouldn't mess with it. Mine don't. They know I take care of it, and all they do is enjoy the tank by staring at it from time to time. I answer all of their questions that they have. I don't treat my kids like they don't know anything, they are just as smart as I am, and learn anything as long as you teach them.
I agree with everything you have said here. My daughter is nearly 2 1/2 and she is very good even though she has access to all of the tanks cupboards and equipment, switches, chemicals etc

She has discipline and understands what NO means. She loves the tank and knows the names of all the fish, corals and equipment.

A spinning ball of chaeto is a great distraction for her whilst I do maintenance!

Same goes for the rest of the house, she can get into the kitchen cupboards with our glasses, plates and washing up liquids but wouldn’t dare. Never had and incident but we always know what she’s up too. Kids are not idiots unless you treat them like kids. Treat them like people and you will have a responsible little person. It’s especially important to include them in the things you do in a positive and fun way but be prepared to put your foot down and hold your ground when they play up.

611D0D82-86A1-42E7-9471-17F55ACF0DE9.jpeg

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is any one concerned about the effect of blue light on kids eyes? I've heard some things about this being bad for their development
I read an article about this once and sent it to Reefbuilders asking them to look into it given we all stare at blue light a lot. Never got a response. As long as the room is sufficiently lit it should be ok. The article I read (on Science Alert) did say that pure blue light was bad but with other colours mixed in was ok from memory.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back