Aquarium Controller

Protagonist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently researching aquarium controllers. As if researching LEDs was a pain, this has now topped my list. With all of the information out there it seems there are so many mixed opinions on the products. I am looking at the following three products, Reef Angel, Neptune Systems Apex, and Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper. I like the idea of being able to access my tank condition. I like the idea of receiving text and email alarms if something happens. It would be amazing to be able to see the current temp and ph of the tank.

Because of all of the mixed information I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with these units and could provide some feedback. I don't mind learning some programming if I need to. So I don't exactly need a base unit. Is there anything to stay away from? Would you do anything different if you could do it again?

Any help is appreciated...

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the Apex and am super happy with it. I have all my tank info at a glance plus if i'm away and something goes wrong i get alerted and can make changes from my phone.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex as well and love it. There are several people who have had the Apex and the Reefkeeper and prefer the Apex, I think that there was one person who felt the opposite. I haven't seen too much on the Reef Angel.

CJ

OP
OP
P

Protagonist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at different post. There are some terrible stories about customer service and product problems. I like the idea of knowing exactly what the tank is doing. Is it hard to program? Or are the people complaining about it just not gadget savvy?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at different post. There are some terrible stories about customer service and product problems. I like the idea of knowing exactly what the tank is doing. Is it hard to program? Or are the people complaining about it just not gadget savvy?

Which one?

I think that Apex's customer service has been excellent (owner picked up the phone on the 3rd ring at 9:00 at night and spent quite some time helping me). Most others have had similar experiences, though I've heard of a few who had trouble contacting them. Progr

I've heard mixed reviews about Reefkeeper's customer service. For a while, all I heard was bad. However, recently things appear to have improved. From what I've heard, programming for the Reefkeeper, outside of just basic things, can be complicated, but again, there are plenty of people to help you and many examples.

No idea on the Reef Angel.

CJ

OP
OP
P

Protagonist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Apex is the one we have decided on. Although I am torn because I see some hopeful post about making your own controller. I think that would be a blast. Probably a bit challenging but making one that would be web based would be very rewarding. I wonder it would end up being more expensive in the long run to do it myself?

Shelby2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Apex Jr+ 8 outlet extension so the total of 12 outlets. Apex Jr has no display so everything is web based plus I have Aquacontroller on my iPhone. With a few tweaks on the router you can have access to the tank parameters outside of your home wifi. There is plenty of help on a forum and there are many guys who are extremely knowledgable. I have a very unausual router and I got a help from one of those people. As I said, Apex Jr has no display but I don't need it anymore. I still have a thermometer on my tank but I don't look at it anymore. I can view my temp on my iPhone or web browser together with a graph showing ups and downs. Many people sell other controllers to buy Apex. Check all 3 Apex systems and see what you need. As I said I don't miss the display.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back