Aquarium Controllers confusion help clarify.

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about an aquarium controller for my reef tank. I like the technology and direction controller companies are headed with automated features built into the controllers. I see this movement as a way to trim time consuming husbandry chores and intimidating science involved with maintaining a reef tank which equals more enjoyment from the hobby. I am not sure if the technology is quite up to my expectation levels. I want to spend my money on an aquarium controller capable of making dosing adjustments as needed all based on actual water parameter testing (Temp, Salinity, pH, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrate & Phosphates ect.) I am not as concerned about some of the other well known automation features such as leak detection, auto top off control and reverse osmosis system control ect. Now don't get me wrong, I like having the option to use them but not necessarily that big of a purchasing decision for me. Since I got back into the hobby I followed Red Sea's mixed reef recipe for product dosing and parameter recommendations. I still follow Red Sea's parameters for a mixed reef however I have been able to cut down on the amount of Red Sea products purchased and dosed. Now I dose my tank with Red Sea's Foundation A&C elements & Tropic Marin All for Reef. (AFR maintains my Alkalinity and trace elements) Since starting the use of AFR, my Alkalinity is consistently 9.2 - 9.5 dkH (Hanna Checker tested) I no longer have to dose Red Sea's A,B,C,D trace elements or Foundation B, since they are controlled with AFR. I started out manual dosing once a day. Usually in the evening when I had time to spend testing and make dosing adjustments needed. I have since purchased a set auto dosing pumps. I really like having the ability to dose multiple smaller amounts over 24 hrs. VS a single dose in the evening. The auto dosing has made my numbers that much more consistent and stable. I am now having control nutrient levels due to the added bioload of Fish, corals and other creatures in my aquarium & having to feed more food. I have recently started carbon dosing to bring my nutrient levels into check. Now if an aquarium controller can take over these measuring and dosage amounts then I am all in. Out of the known controllers on the market (Apex, Hydros, Akatronic, Reef Factory, Kamora, GHL) do any of these have the level of automation I am looking for? Should I wait longer for the technology to get better or is there something avail now? From what I can tell from the trend in aquarium technology advancements with simple products ranging from temp, pH & salinity monitors/controllers to the current controllers available now. To me it seems the technology push is towards fully automating reef systems with intuitive programs for less work, simple system monitoring & ease of use to attract more people to get into the hobby and have more success in keeping a reef system.

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You replace testing with calibrating and then checking the calibration with testing. FOr me I would use monitors to watch for trends and adjust my dosing accordingly. If you let your monitor dose for you who is in control?
It would still be up to you to monitor your testing & dosage values to make sure the automation is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Automatic testing and dosing would reduce the time spent taking water samples, performing the multiple water tests and analyzing the test results and then programing necessary adjustments into the dosing pumps. I only have time in my daily schedule to test water parameters one time a day usually in the evening when I get home from work. Since stability is the goal with reef keeping being able to perform multiple water tests multiple times a day and able to dose smaller amounts at multiple times per day is only going to provide better stability for your reef tank and its inhabitants. Granted even with the automation there is still going to some hands on. You would still have to monitor test results and compare to dosing parameters to insure everything is working correctly. I would rather look at an app on my phone to analyse test results to verify the corrections are being administered correctly VS having to do all that manual testing and dosing to achieve the same results. There is always going to be up keep and maintenance items to take care of such as changing reagent fluids, empty collection containers of spent reagents, probe calibration, pump head replacements and cleaning of hoses and equipment. I would rather do this type of work rather than perform the tedious, repetitive water tests and guessing dosage amounts for corrections.

Upvote 0

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use auto alkalinity testing and use dynamic dosing that depends on the alkalinity test. I dose All For Reef and a KH buffer. That seems to work good. I only to the others on a weekly basis. I also do auto water changes on a daily basis using the controller. I think the only thing that will test all the thing you listed is a Mastertronic and it is quite expensive and needs a lot of maintenance to keep it going. The controller system I currently use is the Hydros.

Upvote 0

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what you are saying.... I have a larger volume tank (330g) so mileage, so I have flexibility in swings. I use my eyes more to test now... and I do little changes over a larger period of time. I also went in with the mind set that it was going to take awhile for it to balance out

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back