Aquarium disaster

eyann666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 12.5 EVO, I got it set up last January, so almost a year ago. Everything was pretty fine until last week. There's no lid, it's all open, and it's in the living room. Last saturday, some kid found it funny to pour an entire glass of apple cider vinegar (which was used for kid science experiments in the dining room during a birthday party). I was not there at this time but I got a text from my wife telling me that the aquarium looks funny, and one of the clown fish jumped out and died under the cabinet. I guess the Ph crashed down as well as the Kh because of the vinegar, killing off the BB as well, that's my guess?

When I came back home, the tank was super cloudy, the shrimp was acting crazy trying to jump out the tank, the other clown fish was dying and all of the corals looked dead. The RF anemone looked strangely fine. I immediately did a 50% WC. I eventually knew what happened so I did another WC, got some Stability to re-introduce some kind of BB and used a buffer to slowly raise the ph back to normal (it was at 7ish even after the WC, I guess because of the vinegar residue) but unfortunately, damage was done, the shrimp died, the left clown fish survived as well as the emerald crab and some hermit crabs but pretty much all of the corals look miserable now. I guess they will come back eventually (I can see some of their tissues still) but here's the problem that I have now: I'm using RO water with Coralife salt, never got any Kh issue with it so far, but for a couple of days, the Kh is ridiculously high at 15, while the calcium is stable at 440 and Ph at 8ish. (I'm using API tests so it's hard to be precise). I thought the Kh would drop over the course of a few days but no luck, it stayed at 15 and I have no clue why, since I almost did a 100% WC a week ago after the incident. It's the first time it happened, Kh used to be 8 and was very stable before, so stable that I didn't even bother testing for it every week.

My question is: will the Kh drop over time? Should I do another WC again knowing that I'm basically re-cycling my tank right now? Will the corals survive with such a high Kh?
Other than that, parameters are fine, there's no spike of ammonia, just a little nitrate so I guess the cycling might be ok. Phosphate is 0, which doesn't surprise me. I have no Mag test so I can't tell.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your disaster.

If you did a 100% WC, your parameters will be whatever your salt mixes to. Unless you are dosing something.

Now the vinegar could have dropped your ph so low that the CaCO3 was dissolving, but the WC would have fixed it.

OP
OP
E

eyann666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
The only thing I dosed was the Seachem Ph regulator to raise the ph back to normal cause even after the WC, it was still pretty low (I guess the vinegar was all over the filter media and the substrate, I have no idea...) so I might have dosed that too much due to the stress I had, but a Kh switch from 8 to 15 is a little extreme, isn't it?
Other than that, I don't use anything else than the salt. (and like I said, Seachem Stability to help recycling).
The other things I put in my tank are: fish food and corals food.

One thing that I did not mention: I didn't clean my filter media after the incident, I didn't want to risk to start from scratch again.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
The only thing I dosed was the Seachem Ph regulator to raise the ph back to normal cause even after the WC, it was still pretty low (I guess the vinegar was all over the filter media and the substrate, I have no idea...) so I might have dosed that too much due to the stress I had, but a Kh switch from 8 to 15 is a little extreme, isn't it?
Other than that, I don't use anything else than the salt. (and like I said, Seachem Stability to help recycling).
The other things I put in my tank are: fish food and corals food.

One thing that I did not mention: I didn't clean my filter media after the incident, I didn't want to risk to start from scratch again.
That's your issue. All these pH additives are generally a buffer that adds unbalanced alk.

Please consider just doing several large water changes to get your water parameters back to normal.

You're tank won't go back to uni-cycled. It doesn't work that way.

OP
OP
E

eyann666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!
That's your issue. All these pH additives are generally a buffer that adds unbalanced alk.

Please consider just doing several large water changes to get your water parameters back to normal.

You're tank won't go back to uni-cycled. It doesn't work that way.
Thank you so much!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back