Aquarium evaporation??

grimreefer001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put together a 57 gallon rimless tank with a 30x15 sump. I have about 57 gallons of water throughout the sump and the aquarium itself and another 10 gallon auto top off reservoir on the side of my tank. I have had the tank set up for about 23 days now and have gone through about 20 gallons of water being added into the tank due to evaporation. Is that a normal amount for a tank to lose so much water?? I only currently have a net top on it so that will obviously be a reason for so much evaporation until i get a glass top of some sort.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55 gallon goes through ~5 gallons of top off every 7-10 days, so your numbers don’t seem excessive by any means.

Upvote 0

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The warmer the air, the more water evaporates so if you live somewhere hot, you may have more evaporation than a tank in a cooler location. The daily temperature in my fish room is around 20C/68F and I top up my 35 gallon tank with about 2 1/2 gallons per week which works out pretty similar to yours.

You can buy ultra cheap combined thermometer/humidity meters online which quickly show the amount of humidity (or how much water you’re losing) in your tank room.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

grimreefer001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little on the high side, but it also depends on if the sump is enclosed in a cabinet or open (it sounds like you have about 75 gallons in total).
The sump is open but its in a cabinet and I have a plexi glass shield on the back with only about 4-6" of room for air to come through and out. I have 57 gallons of water total including the sump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only currently have a net top on it so that will obviously be a reason for so much evaporation until i get a glass top of some sort.

grim,
Congrats with your new tank.

Just take the evaporation.

If you use a glass top then your gas exchange may lower, which would hold down your reef’s ph.

You‘d also have to clean the underside of the glass lid a lot, to hold your lights, spectrum and par correct.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back