Aquarium Murder Mystery

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll,
My newly added hawkfish just died and I'm pretty devasted, this isn't the first time either, I've been having issues keeping newly added fish and inverts alive (especially those that live in the rockwork). So if you all could be most kind and put on your Poirot, Columbo, Monk, Holmes, Marple, (Or favorite detective of choice)'s hat and help me find out who is most likely responsible for these weird deaths.
Timeline:
Bought an already running tank, which came with fish (I sold them) but kept the hermit crab that came with ( 2", so pretty decent size)

Since I already had a large population of beneficial bacteria, I go and buy 2 Ocellaris clowns, Pistol shrimp, Yellow watchman Goby (not paired), Emerald Crab, and Camel Shrimp.

3 weeks later I find one clown staying in a corner, with a whitish belly and nipped fins (completely out of the blue) and dies that night, I assume that one clown didn't like the other and offed him.

1 week later I buy another clown (to see if those 2 just had compatibility issues) and Peppermint Shrimp, within 2 days Clown dies in the same way as other but takes longer.

3 weeks later I go buy Arrow Crab, and Royal Gramma

2 days later gramma flails wildly within the tank, mouth stuck open, and dies. (Sister said she saw arrow crab snap at him, but is unsure)

Got sick of buying fish and them dying so don't buy anything for 6-7 weeks, I then buy 1 Bangaii Cardinal and Chocolate Chip Starfish (both still alive and quite well).

1 week later and Arrow crab dies, (but there was a nitrite spike at the time so I blame that)

3 weeks later and buy Coral Beauty and 3 chromis (CB still alive and quite well, but has a small cut on it's fin, 2 chromis doing great, but one was hiding and had like dark spots on its head, dead within a day after I moved to QT tank, thought it was uronema or chromis bullying).

3 weeks later I buy a Red burrowing crab, Feather Duster and a Rose pink Urchin

5 weeks later I buy a One Spot Foxface and a Lawnmower blenny

Around 3 weeks later small pieces of red burrowing crab are found throughout the aquarium (but might have been molting not sure my brothers told me I was out on vacation)

2 weeks later I'm home and go buy a decorator crab, fighting conch and Flame Hawkfish, that day before even adding fish Lawnmower Blenny dies, their belly looks a little thin. no previous signs of downward behavior, exactly like all the other fish, large hermit at the scene of the crime biting at him cuts on his fins but not sure if thats scavengers .

2 days later Hawkfish dies, their belly was a little white and the hermit crab again was found at the scene of the crime.

So there it is folks.

The suspects are these

Tiger Pistol Shrimp: Likes to snap at things that come near their cave and constantly does this. never seen it attack anything and seems to just scare off intruders

Yellow Watchman Goby: Have seen him bite at fish and inflate his mouth but that is a very rare occurrence. is territorial and did sometimes chase lawnmower blenny.

Bangaii Cardinal: Just swims out in the open, doesn't do much, doubt it's the killer.

Chromis: Like to pick on each other but never have gone after other fish.

Hermit Crab: always seen at the scene of the crime "cleaning up" but seems pretty peaceful.

One spot Foxface: Very Docile, but raises it spines when fish swim near.

Coral Beauty: pretty much oblivious to everything else in the tank, besides the Foxface who he swims with. has a small cut on anal fin.

Clownfish: Really, Really small, barely an inch, but is suspected of killing their mates, but ever since mates died, sleeps at the top right by Hob filter.

Spider decorater Crab: slow and just got, might be doing something, although he seems too lazy.

Emerald Crab: He is like dime-sized and I know, he's a he so might be aggressive although I've never seen him do anything against other fish or inverts.

Disease: this is a good possibility except that fish seem to have been attacked instead of sick, (due to a lot of small, rock dwelling fish and inverts dying)

Bad Water quality: I don't think its this one either because I change water and test water consistently and always is good.

Any help would be literally a godsend, cause this has given me and my family so much heartbreak (the flame hawkfish and the lawnmower blenny were my mom's and brothers favorite fish respectively).
Thanks so much for reading this long post!

ps.
forgot to add a few things,
almost all the fish that survive are the ones who swim in the upper or middle part of the tank,
I have Live Rock, so maybe a bad hitchhiker keeps knocking my fish off,
I have seen the yellow watchman goby grab a small hermit crab and take it to its cave.
I also got a Neon goby, bought with CB and had for 2 weeks and liked to hang out by the silicone siding near the bottom, disappeared, assumed he jumped because I had some holes in my lid, but starting to think he mightve been attacked as well.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw out the hermit crab and water quality/parameters as the two most likely possibilities. It's unlikely to be any of the other fish or inverts.

This isn't to say I've solved the mystery - as you've had a lot of different deaths over a prolonged period of time.

It would help if you could provide some details on your setup, ie: sump, filtration, water parameters, dosing, additives and supplements, feeding, etc.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha, this is a 75 gallon fowlr tank and filtration is 2 hob filters (one rated for 55 gallons, one rated for 75) 2 powerheads and a Hob protein skimmer, and tons of live rock. didn't have enough money for sump now but adding in the future. nitrates stay at a pretty stable 5-15 ppm, where ammonia and nitrite whenever I test (which is once a week) are always at 0. my calcium levels are like around 400 or so but I don't test that often due to not having corals. I feed them around twice a day once something high in like protein like Mysis shrimp then something like nori or plankton, I sometimes give pellets too. I also pour in occasionally phytplankton for feather dusters. I don't have any additives but it seems odd that my choc chip star and my feather duster and my Rose pink urchin all are completely fine and are all not super hardy and are doing completely fine. It is also odd that only the fish that live in rocks die outside of watchman goby; Royal gramma, Arrow crab, lawnmower blenny, neon goby, hawkfish. thanks for your help!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT and all new fish from same store?

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all but a couple from the same store but have a good friend who works there who watches fish like 4 weeks in advance before giving it to me.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like hawkfish was in a healthy thriving tank for 6 weeks and died within 2 days in my tank, no outward symptoms and with all the fish there never are.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw out the hermit crab and water quality/parameters as the two most likely possibilities. It's unlikely to be any of the other fish or inverts.

This isn't to say I've solved the mystery - as you've had a lot of different deaths over a prolonged period of time.

It would help if you could provide some details on your setup, ie: sump, filtration, water parameters, dosing, additives and supplements, feeding, etc.
Don't you think the emerald could've done it?

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, so what about watchman I have seen him nip at coral beauty once and chase lawnmower blenny

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The watchman is by far not your cause of death here. My best guess regarding the rapid deaths is you have some territorial disputes going on, these fish get nipped fins from each other and then a bacterial infection sets in, and kills the fish. I would bet with all the new changes you have a pretty substantial bacterial population, both good and bad. Nothing you have in that tank would attack a healthy fish, hermits will only get a fish on its last leg or already dead, thus part of the CUC.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The watchman is by far not your cause of death here. My best guess regarding the rapid deaths is you have some territorial disputes going on, these fish get nipped fins from each other and then a bacterial infection sets in, and kills the fish. I would bet with all the new changes you have a pretty substantial bacterial population, both good and bad. Nothing you have in that tank would attack a healthy fish, hermits will only get a fish on its last leg or already dead, thus part of the CUC.
Thank you for your response! but who would be having territorial disputes the watchman and the shrimp are the only ones I can see who have any sort of territory.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauties and royal grammas, clowns, lots of these fish will nip fins, there are very few fish in reefing that wont chase each other around once they have established territory.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what would you say to do? get like Kanaplex or something wipe out bad bacteria and then try to keep ammonia down with bottled beneficial bacteria.
Coral beauties and royal grammas, clowns, lots of these fish will nip fins, there are very few fish in reefing that wont chase each other around once they have established territory.
I doubt it's my clown, he's super small and never goes near the bottom.
could be coral beauty but I added him rather late and has never ever shown any aggressiveness at all.
royal gramma was killed within 36 hours so not him.

To me it's really odd that only really my rock-dwelling fish have died, so I feel like something in the rockwork, could it be some hitchhiker I haven't seen yet?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never get rid of the bad bacteria, they are in every single tank ever to exist. Its just a healthy fish will fight this infection in most cases.

Its not a bobbit for sure, a bobbit would consume the entire fish.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what would you say to do? get like Kanaplex or something wipe out bad bacteria and then try to keep ammonia down with bottled beneficial bacteria.

I doubt it's my clown, he's super small and never goes near the bottom.
could be coral beauty but I added him rather late and has never ever shown any aggressiveness at all.
royal gramma was killed within 36 hours so not him.

To me it's really odd that only really my rock-dwelling fish have died, so I feel like something in the rockwork, could it be some hitchhiker I haven't seen yet?
It doesnt sound like any hitch hiker ive ever heard of. My money is still on bacterial infection. The rock work is where most of your bacteria reside.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never get rid of the bad bacteria, they are in every single tank ever to exist. Its just a healthy fish will fight this infection in most cases.

Its not a bobbit for sure, a bobbit would consume the entire fish.
lol I actually kinda hoped it was bobbit worm so that ,
1: I had a great story to tell of cocktail parties of a giant foot long eldritch horror I kept.
or 2: I could fix all my tank probs through one easy solution, kill the dang thing.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where the rock came from? Was it started as dry rock of was it live rock from the gulf or something?

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt sound like any hitch hiker ive ever heard of. My money is still on bacterial infection. The rock work is where most of your bacteria reside.
Oh, so the closer the fish would be to this bad bacteria the more likely for infection?
I know for a fact I have bristle worms so could fish near rockwork get stung and have bacteria enter through stings?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, so the closer the fish would be to this bad bacteria the more likely for infection?
I know for a fact I have bristle worms so could fish near rockwork get stung and have bacteria enter through stings?
Fish can be stung per se by bristle worms, but this is pretty rare and is even more so rarely fatal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back