Natural animals in my tank?

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's a stupid question, but I'm really interested in adding animals from the ocean to my tank (quarantined of course) such as hermit crabs, crabs or invertebrates, even fish if possible. Is this possible? They will be from the Mediterranean sea, and I don't know if the temperature would be the problem, since they live in 13°C and my tank is 26°C. I had that one crab as a kid and it was extremely hardy, but died sadly, from the mistakes I made with him...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's a stupid question, but I'm really interested in adding animals from the ocean to my tank (quarantined of course) such as hermit crabs, crabs or invertebrates, even fish if possible. Is this possible? They will be from the Mediterranean sea, and I don't know if the temperature would be the problem, since they live in 13°C and my tank is 26°C. I had that one crab as a kid and it was extremely hardy, but died sadly, from the mistakes I made with him...
Yes it has been done with members on here. @Nman has a beautiful tide pool tank with fish and inverts he catches in the tide pools on the coast of England. Anemones, snail , crabs and fish. I can’t recall the tag but there is someone on here who does the same off the coast of Alaska.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it has been done with members on here. @Nman has a beautiful tide pool tank with fish and inverts he catches in the tide pools on the coast of England. Anemones, snail , crabs and fish. I can’t recall the tag but there is someone on here who does the same off the coast of Alaska.
Does macro algae or rocks, invertebrates spread diseases even with quarantining? I'm kind of worried about diseases or isopods

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all sorts of things in my tank from local New York "cold" water. Most of it doesn't live more then a few months probably due to the temperature.

I don't have to worry about quarantine, diseases or things like that.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does macro algae or rocks, invertebrates spread diseases even with quarantining? I'm kind of worried about diseases or isopods
I tagged @Nman he’ll jump in and give you better advice than I can.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all sorts of things in my tank from local New York "cold" water. Most of it doesn't live more then a few months probably due to the temperature.

I don't have to worry about quarantine, diseases or things like that.

lol

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can be done. I am running a tank at 25c and I have cold water anemones in it . Before I came on I was watching my beadlet anemones spitting out baby’s. Most anemones split to reproduce . As Paul says at high temperatures some things can not tolerate it for long periods. If you want low temperatures a chiller would be needed then everything you collect will thrive in your tank .
IMG_0191.jpeg

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can be done. I am running a tank at 25c and I have cold water anemones in it . Before I came on I was watching my beadlet anemones spitting out baby’s. Most anemones split to reproduce . As Paul says at high temperatures some things can not tolerate it for long periods. If you want low temperatures a chiller would be needed then everything you collect will thrive in your tank .
IMG_0191.jpeg
I thought beadlet anemones could eat my fish, the best thing is that they don't require special light, how did you harvest them If they are stick to the rock so strongly? Will they eat basic fish pellets or anemone pellets?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an anemone eat a healthy fish. They come off fine you just need to take your time get under one edge and slowly peel off most of my anemones are now captive bred . 1 anemone that will take your shrimps is the snake lock anemone they have super sticky tentacles
I feed my anemones twice a week with a turkey baster and directly feed each one. I also have bubble tips in there as well not lost one fish
Picture below is a snake lock anemone
IMG_0677.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back