My dream stocking

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basic 10 gallon tank (Not cube) and I have been letting my tank run for about a month. I am aware of the time that it takes to add specific things, so keep that in mind but just imagine, 3 years from now, I have all this in my tank. Would it work for a beginner? Should I take things off or add stuff? Should I keep things in mind? Would they all get along?

Animals:
-Cleaner shrimp
-two Ocellaris clowns
-One neon goby
-red leg hermit
-blue leg hermit
-emerald crab

Anemone:
-Rock flower
-Mini-Maxi anemone

Coral:
-Toadstool/leather coral (on exposed rock in the middle of the tank) (No feed)
-Zoa coral
-GSP
-Finger Coral
-Duncan coral
-Hammer coral
-xenia coral

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pass on any clownfish in that size tank unless it were the only fish.
My pair would definitely not tolerate the company (and my female has killed before in larger tanks).
Best to stick to peaceful fish like neon gobies, clown gobies, firefish, royal gramma, etc. in so small a tank.
As fun as clowns are, it will be worth it when you have a thriving tank that doesn’t draw blood when you stick your hand in.
I’d also pass on the maxi-mini, nems will sting and injure other corals, in a small tank this risk is even greater. Unless the nem is the focus of the tank, it’s best not to have them in a nano. The rfa don’t sting and will be fine.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lotta beginners are quickly drawn to the clownfish + nem thing and usually that becomes the whole thing for the tank, cant have more fish cus clowns are aggressive and territorial and cant have too many corals cus nems move around and sting stuff as mentioned above, personally I find that limiting but it's YOUR reef!

Maybe watch some documentaries and see some footage of natural reef environments. Goes without saying that ours will always be a recreation but I think gaining inspiration from those actual reefs may also help to shape what you want and expect from yours. This might even pique your curiosity regarding some of the important biological aspects of reefing too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back