All anenome tank, all coral tank, or a mixture of both?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking for ideas for my nano reef tank. I already know what livestock I am going to put in, but I don't know if I should put anemones or coral or both in it. I am a beginner, so coral would be easier, but I like the symbiotic relationship clownfish and anemones get, if captive bread clownfish remember what anemones are lol.

Here's my livestock list:

A pair of Ocellarius clownfish
1 Firefish
1 Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
2-3 blue-legged hermit crabs
Possibly a sea urchin depending on what my LFS says.

This is all going into a 15-gallon tank, so I don't know if I want to put anemones in it because it is quite small. I don't know, I just need some help. My budget is also low, so corals would be cheaper, but I could definitely for 1 or 2 anemones in my budget.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking for ideas for my nano reef tank. I already know what livestock I am going to put in, but I don't know if I should put anemones or coral or both in it. I am a beginner, so coral would be easier, but I like the symbiotic relationship clownfish and anemones get, if captive bread clownfish remember what anemones are lol.

1 Firefish

This is all going into a 15-gallon tank, so I don't know if I want to put anemones in it because it is quite small. I don't know, I just need some help. My budget is also low, so corals would be cheaper, but I could definitely for 1 or 2 anemones in my budget.
I would only add 1 BTA to that size tank, considering your other livestock. There's no reason you can't add a nem AND some coral frags. Another option is rock flower anemones although they won't host the clowns.

It really depends on what you'd prefer to have in the tank :)

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bubble tip anemone and if you have corals in my opinion it is just not worth it. I took my anemone back after a few days cause it kept moving and stinging coral. You just have to know what you’re getting into. Many people in the hobby spend a lot of money of corals and do not want them killed by a rouge anemone. My clowns also didn’t host it and don’t host any corals either. They host the corner of my tank captive bred clowns and clowns in general are funny creatures.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Firefish

The biggest concern in a small aquarium would be warfare between anemones and corals. If the anemone decides to walk, or split and reproduce (and the offspring subsequently walk), there won't be much space.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bubble tip anemone and if you have corals in my opinion it is just not worth it. I took my anemone back after a few days cause it kept moving and stinging coral. You just have to know what you’re getting into. Many people in the hobby spend a lot of money of corals and do not want them killed by a rouge anemone. My clowns also didn’t host it and don’t host any corals either. They host the corner of my tank captive-bred clowns and clowns in general are funny creatures.
Yeah, I probably won't get one, though maybe in the future I can get a tank with just anemones in it so it won't kill coral.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest concern in a small aquarium would be warfare between anemones and corals. If the anemone decides to walk, or split and reproduce (and the offspring subsequently walk), there won't be much space.
Thanks, I dont think I will get one, but maybe in the future in a different tank!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your clown to go into something I would go with some sort of leather Coral either a toadstool or a finger leather. They're super Hardy and rugged they won't get beat up by the clownfish and their as cooperative as can be in a mixed reef setting.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your clown to go into something I would go with some sort of leather Coral either a toadstool or a finger leather. They're super Hardy and rugged they won't get beat up by the clownfish and their as cooperative as can be in a mixed reef setting.
Thanks! I will look into that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back