aquarium reseal

reefnewb1982

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2014
Messages
232
Reaction score
2
Location
brownsville, tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best most durable silicone you guys recommend to reseal my tank its a 120gallon rescently sprung a leak and going to repair
 
Aquarium Silicone
GE Silicone 1
GE Silicone 2- But must be left to dry for a week to let the fumes out.

Also, the silicone the beads on the outside of the panes of glass isn't a sealer, to do it correctly you need to remove the panes of glass, clean them off then put them back together.
 
I would order some RTV108 which is way stronger and probably what your tank was assembled with from the factory. RTV108 is clear and I think RTV104 is black and its made by Momentive. I use it when building all my glass sumps and I am working on resealing a tank now but just the bead inside the tank as it was not leaking before but the silicone looked damaged in places (Probably from cleaning glass with a razor blade) so don't want to take the chance. Just make sure you clean the glass really good with Acetone before applying the new silicone.
 
I never gamble on the GE stuffs. There are conflicting accounts of it having moldicides and other things that would be harmful to our animals. Even the stuff that says 100% silicone supposedly can have a formulation with moldicide.

IMG_20140220_162525.jpg
 
I have yet to start on the reseal im really nervous about doing it again and having it screw up I honestly dont want to remove the panels let me post a pic
 
Hey guys long time since last post but here's the update finally got the 120 back in action and used api quick start and so far so good parameters are great and stil holding a
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new