Aquarium Safe Black Paint to paint CPVC?

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm going to be drilling my live rocks and using CPVC to 'connect' them / stabilize them. That said I'd prefer to have the CPVC black so it's not super obvious/contrasting - but I wasn't sure if I could just pick up any old black spray paint or if I needed something special to be aquarium safe?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use black plastic clothes hangers that you can find at you dollar store. 1/2 inch CPVC would require a big hole. I think I use a 3/8 masonry bit for plastic hanger pieces.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cpvc? Isn't it too brittle?
Anything reasonably rigid and 1/2" should work.

Use black plastic clothes hangers that you can find at you dollar store. 1/2 inch CPVC would require a big hole. I think I use a 3/8 masonry bit for plastic hanger pieces.
The bit I have is 5/8" which should work for anything 1/2" or so.

I can pick up a 3/8" - but I'm dealing with some fairly large rock pieces. Was planning on building a base for them out of 1/2" PVC - likely two holes in each rock for the PVC 'studs' to go into - I could then use the hangers for the rest of the stacking. At any rate - do still need to know on paint :).

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get the acrylic rods from home depot or equivalent and then drill holes snug with some glue and cement you are off to the races. i would assume you are cutting rods a bit smaller so they are not seen and mounting them rock to rock so should not see the rods at all plus where they meet should be a bit of cement. Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 1.50.24 PM.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back