Aquarium background removal from under trim

RedSeareefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Has anybody got an idea how to remove acrylic craft paint from under aquarium trim?
To my understanding acetone will dissolve the acrylic, but I have seen mention that acetone can "soften" silicone, and I can't figure out one important detail of it, is this permanent? If the softening isn't permanent how long does it take for the acetone to go away and the silicone to harden back up?
Is there any other solvent that will remove acrylic paint but leave silicone unharmed?
20231016_094128.jpg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for me to see what's what in the photo. Can you take one from about 12" back further? I have always removed paints from glass with a razor blade scraper. The silicone is on the inside seams of the aquarium, and the paint is on the outside glass right?

OP
OP
R

RedSeareefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct about the positioning, but the problem is with the paint that is between the trim and the glass (outside) which I can't get at with a razor blade and need some sort of solvent for, on the top it isn't much of a problem if it is not safe for silicone as there is none there but on the bottom the solvent will collect right where the bottom seam is, possibly damaging it if the solvent isn't safe for silicone.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe try sliding a putty knife with a wrapped paper towel soaked with acetone between trim and glass. Only other way is probably to remove top trim to scrape and re-glue top trim with silicone but you are likely to break the plastic when removing.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is under the trim, consider applying a thin black silicone bead under the trim to cover it up.

OP
OP
R

RedSeareefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try sliding a putty knife with a wrapped paper towel soaked with acetone between trim and glass. Only other way is probably to remove top trim to scrape and re-glue top trim with silicone but you are likely to break the plastic when removing.
Won't the acetone damage the silicone?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back