Aquarium Shape and Size

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build a new aquarium for my lounge.

The space I have is in one corner. I have about 1.5m along one wall but will be on the 45-90degree angle from where I sit.

The other wall is 90cm before a window.

My options are around

1) 150x50x50 - look at it on the angle of side on.
2) 90x90x50x45 - see it front on shallow but bigger open space
3) 90x60x60 - deeper but narrower

All hold around 350L

Currently I have clowns and want to get some bigger fish not 100% sure what yet.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone can make this decision for you but here some for for thought.
Your bigger consideration should be maintenance and nutrient export management. How will you do water changes, top offs and dosing(if needed)? How and where will dirty water go? Will you need a chiller? If yes, where will you put it? It will need proper exhaust.
What if there is a leak? Electrical points?
Personally, I think deeper tanks makes scaping easier if corals are your priority. Longer tanks are better for fish.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone can make this decision for you but here some for for thought.
Your bigger consideration should be maintenance and nutrient export management. How will you do water changes, top offs and dosing(if needed)? How and where will dirty water go? Will you need a chiller? If yes, where will you put it? It will need proper exhaust.
What if there is a leak? Electrical points?
Personally, I think deeper tanks makes scaping easier if corals are your priority. Longer tanks are better for fish.
No.... no one can make this decision for me. However experience and ideas worth sharing help influence it. That's what a forum is for and why I've asked.

-Maintenance in the far corner of a 90x90 could be an issue. Hadn't considered that.

As for water changes, topoffs, dosing, dirty water will all be done the usual way. I'll have an overflow down into a sump. A chiller is a consideration for all of these so is electronical or a leak..

Really looking for pros / cons experience from similar scenarios.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses and tangs love to swim in longer stretches so, if you are considering these then longer tank will be helpful. Clowns, dartfish and Cardinals love to hover most of the time so they will be ok in shorter length tank.
I had a 1700 x 450(high) x 400(deep)mm tank initially. Converted from freshwater.
My wrasses, angel and tomini liked it and they made their homes across the length without fights but I felt a deeper tank would have given me more room to get better rockwork.
You will need to alter ur fish list based on tank dimensions.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses and tangs love to swim in longer stretches so, if you are considering these then longer tank will be helpful. Clowns, dartfish and Cardinals love to hover most of the time so they will be ok in shorter length tank.
I had a 1700 x 450(high) x 400(deep)mm tank initially. Converted from freshwater.
My wrasses, angel and tomini liked it and they made their homes across the length without fights but I felt a deeper tank would have given me more room to get better rockwork.
You will need to alter ur fish list based on tank dimensions.
My max length won't be long enough for tangs in any direction.

Maybe I need to really hone in on what fish I want first.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back