Aquarium temp running at 84

reef lover33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my heater 500W aquatop heater for 120 gallon. Have it set for 80 but even replacement is staying at 84 degrees have 2 WaveMaker by redsea and 3 160s redsea lights. Could it be the lights they are 12 inches from top of the tank. The temp remains at 84 degrees even after lights are off for 10 hours. Any thoughts are appreciated

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the ambient room temp? With that much water, lighting should t be affecting the temp much if at all unless you’re running halides… can you just turn down the heater??

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my heater 500W aquatop heater for 120 gallon. Have it set for 80 but even replacement is staying at 84 degrees have 2 WaveMaker by redsea and 3 160s redsea lights. Could it be the lights they are 12 inches from top of the tank. The temp remains at 84 degrees even after lights are off for 10 hours. Any thoughts are appreciated
I would bet the heater is reading wrong. Is there a way to calibrate it? What temp does the tank drop to if you don't use the heater at all?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the ambient temp/general air flow in the room, it might be working as intended but the rest of the equipment is generating enough heat to elevate the temperature further and keep it there (such as lighting or a return pump)

OP
OP
R

reef lover33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the ambient room temp? With that much water, lighting should t be affecting the temp much if at all unless you’re running halides… can you just turn down the heater??
72 to74 room temp. I have the heater set at 75

OP
OP
R

reef lover33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater set at
Heater set at 75 and light are readsead 160s LED

OP
OP
R

reef lover33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the ambient temp/general air flow in the room, it might be working as intended but the rest of the equipment is generating enough heat to elevate the temperature further and keep it there (such as lighting or a return pump)
Ok thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back