Aquarium Trim Cracked

  • Thread starter Thread starter smhray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

smhray

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2020
Messages
86
Reaction score
27
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a used 45 gallon aquarium from a friend with the dimensions of 48x12x18 (LxWxH). The blackout trim is cracked at two of the four corners and the center brace is not attached to the frame anymore but when I place it back down to its spot it is still very tight. I was just wondering if I could still use this aquarium or if I have to replace the trim. I am not too worried about looks as this is my sump tank I am more worried about structural integrity.
 
Most manufacturers sell replacement trim, however, if it does not have a cross brace and is not structural, now would be a good time to make it rimless
 
My question then would be would rimless for this dimension of tank be safe? I am in Canada so replacement trim is hard to locate
 
You could take the top brace off and add your own euro bracing if you are worried about it structurally. Since it's going to be a sump and I assume not full of water I'd say it would probably be fine either way, a picture may help everyone determine how safe it would be to use as is though.
 
Sounds like you have a center brace from your description. I'd use some JB Weld (two part). Lightly scuff the area you are glueing with some 120 grit sand paper. Make sure to clean the area you are glueing well...rubbing alcohol works great for this. If the cracks are tight, open them up slightly with a blade so the glue can get in between the cracks...this will make the bond much stronger. If you want to take it a step further, sand the residual glue smooth once cured and spray with Krylon Fusion all-in-one.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new