OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I am not have such a good experience.

I started the process on the 18th of September and paid a 50% deposit of the agreed price to manufacture my custom tank back on the 16th of October. My expectations were to receive a drawing for approval on the final spec and design by December, with the tank due for delivery in January (originally the first week, but I appreciate timelines have slipped due to coronavirus).
The last update I received was the week before Christmas to say that the drawings will be with me that week, but I received no further correspondence.
When ever I try to phone I never get an answer and it's more or less the same with email, only receiving odd responses after multiple times of trying via the phone and emails.

Suffice to say I am feeling rather disappointed at this stage and am wondering whether I should draw a line under it now and just ask for a full refund.

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I am not have such a good experience.

I started the process on the 18th of September and paid a 50% deposit of the agreed price to manufacture my custom tank back on the 16th of October. My expectations were to receive a drawing for approval on the final spec and design by December, with the tank due for delivery in January (originally the first week, but I appreciate timelines have slipped due to coronavirus).
The last update I received was the week before Christmas to say that the drawings will be with me that week, but I received no further correspondence.
When ever I try to phone I never get an answer and it's more or less the same with email, only receiving odd responses after multiple times of trying via the phone and emails.

Suffice to say I am feeling rather disappointed at this stage and am wondering whether I should draw a line under it now and just ask for a full refund.
I'm in the process of getting a custom tank with them and have also paid a deposit after agreeing the design.

some of the replies have been a bit spaced out but im guessing that's due to current world events rather than anything else.

On the times ive spoken to them they have been very knowledgeable and given me good advice on the build.

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing Andy, when did you place your order and what timescales were you quoted at the time of ordering?

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been discussing it with them on and off since October/November but thats mainly whilst we've been working out what I actually want and how that relates to their design/build process.

I payed the deposit just before Christmas so fairly early days yet.

I'm not in a hurry for the build as my other tank is ticking over at the moment so haven't enquired about lead times.

Last edited:

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did consider getting the newer version of my red sea reefer in a really good black friday deal on krackenkorals but alas I wanted a lid to keep the wife happy and a closed loop system to reduce the power head requirements.

I haven't spoken with any other manufacturers so can't recommend any alternatives but these are strange times so if there are delays I'll just take it on the chin.... Happy wife happy life and all that lol

My experience probably doesn't help you, though if I was in your boat I'd probably try their Facebook page next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so you're very much at the beginning of the process then. See how you are feeling by mid-March. When are you expecting your tank?

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so you're very much at the beginning of the process then. See how you are feeling by mid-March. When are you expecting your tank?
No idea really, as soon as its ready I guess.

Am really busy at the moment so it being delayed doesn't cause me an issue though before April would be handy.

It being delayed gives me time to workout a frame to slide in for mounting electronics and a new dry rock aquascape; may even use this period to get some more rock cycled in the other tank.

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just had an update and the glass has been ordered and I think arrives within the next week or two.
I built my aquascape already and have it cycling in a brute bin in the garage at the moment. Definitely worth doing in advance I reckon, as it's been in there about 10 weeks now.

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thats good news;

i feel like I rushed my last build a little and changed things more than I wanted to whilst I learnt what does and doesn't work for me; guess that's just part of the journey.

now I know more and have more space to work with I'm taking my time with this one as I want to start getting into sps.

TheRedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was around 6 weeks just for my sump , ive been to there factory and everyone working there is super helpful, speaking to the. I know they are really busy at the moment.

I think with everyone been at home there has sen lots of people ordering tanks

The quality of the tanks is definitely worth waiting for

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the helpful input, I appreciate things are difficult and have had my confidence restored to wait it out. Will keep this thread updated with further developments.

wyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at both A4L and Fit Filtration for mine and went with Fit, I know someone who ordered pretty much the same day as me 1st of August with A4L, he was quoted an earlier delivery date, i got mine end of October and his came mid to 3rd week of November

wyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does your friend think of the A4L build quality? and how does it compare to yours?

You will not hear many people say a bad word about the pair of them or even say one is better than the other as I think there much the much the same, I paid alittle extra with fit over A4L and nearly went A4L myself, In the end I went with Fit because people I know were saying that Micky who builds them will not send anything defective out even if it will make no difference, ie if the silicone does not look right he will strip it down and start again.

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say it is reassuring to hear positive things. Fingers crossed it will be a few weeks and I get it end of Jan.

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ian phoned me last night from A4L to go over some of the design details as we agreed it might look better from a symmetry perspective if the step was more central as apposed to the off-set in my original design. Final design should be with me this Thursday, so all good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back