Aquascape advice

Jesse Depass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of aquascaping my 90 gallon and think I found one I like. I was hoping to hear everyone’s thoughts and if there is anything you see wrong or something I could improve. Thanks

EA77228C-E56D-414C-B475-3B938441593E.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool. How stable is it? Also, I always recommend aquascaping based on the type of things you'll be keeping in the tank. More SPS? Then lots of area higher up in the tank. More softies or lower light needing corals, then a mid-level scape works.

OP
OP
Jesse Depass

Jesse Depass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to keep mostly LPS and some SPS towards the top. The stability is fine but I think I am going to switch it up again as it does not look as good to me as it did an hour ago.

Rob62391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had "trouble" coming up with nice scapes. only advice I can give is take your time with it look at it for a day or two and chew it over before you really get the tank rolling. you're gonna be stuck looking at if for presumptively a decent amount of time. I'm starting a new setup and just did the aquascaping this weekend. Was a real pain, went through many different "drafts" this is what I came up with......I actually used some hydraulic mortar for the first time and it really made it a lot easier to come up with something that I think looks pretty cool.

tank .jpg

OP
OP
Jesse Depass

Jesse Depass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had "trouble" coming up with nice scapes. only advice I can give is take your time with it look at it for a day or two and chew it over before you really get the tank rolling. you're gonna be stuck looking at if for presumptively a decent amount of time. I'm starting a new setup and just did the aquascaping this weekend. Was a real pain, went through many different "drafts" this is what I came up with......I actually used some hydraulic mortar for the first time and it really made it a lot easier to come up with something that I think looks pretty cool.

tank .jpg

Thanks for the advice, I will defiantly try and just take my time. Also I really like he look of your aquascape.

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank .jpg
i know this is a couple years old, but i love this design. mind if i borrow some concepts from you.

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I regret not thinking about when making my own aquascape was flow. My design is not too bad but I wish my design had more openings especially in the lower parts of the tank so that dead spots where detritus could build up are eliminated. It's better for the corals and it also makes tank maintenance and cleanup a lot easier.

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely. brs has an excellent video on mistakes in aquascaping and flow was one of them. check it out

Rob62391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is a couple years old, but i love this design. mind if i borrow some concepts from you.

couple years old? and go ahead I borrowed it myself, its the first time that i've played around with the shelf rock and actually used cement. At first it was really hard to get something that didn't look fake with both the regular rock mixed with the shelf rock, but once I hit that first moment where I knew I was onto something it kind of just flowed, with just some minor adjustments being made here and there. Im also hoping that I have enough openings and cave type areas that i'll be able to get efficient flow without having to turn the pump very high and having sand all over the place. I also tried to pre-plan for some corals, and the one thing that I really wanted to try to do was have as little of the rock actually in the sand as possible that way the detritus doesn't build up along the base lone and make the sand all nasty. I know its hard to tell from the picture but any of the rocks that are touching the sand are on the smallest edge possible. the whole structure is set up almost like a tripod.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back