Aquascape thoughts.......

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im pretty new.... In fact very new!!
Trying to get my scape right before cycle.... Whats anyones thoughts on this? Its a 15g tank, im still waiting on my heater and additional wavemaker to come....

Any advice would be great!!!

Attachments

• VID_20200518_151941.mp4
    72.8 MB

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good. One full tank, still shot would be helpful.

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a still shot..... Im worried about flow... Bit hopefully with ot being a small tank and the wavemaker and filter will keep it moving

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still shot!

15898145003588121198197793126473.jpg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the side? I’d be really nervous about stacking rocks against the wall like that. Back wall, whatever, but the side wall is going to be a pain in the butt to scrape algae off

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it for the most part. Consider removing the whiter rock on top in the middle or one of the two to the right of it and adjusting the remaining to add a bit more negative space/swim room, but it's fine as is too. I really dig the arch foot placement.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d stay away from the glass at least 4”(roughly) on the sides. Now, that’s my preference, but if you want to be able to see into your rock work you’ll need to get a glass cleaner in there.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just so hard to do on small tanks if you want any height or anything more than a minimal amount of rocks.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like what you have now, leave it be for several days without looking at it. Then come back to it and look at it again. Most likely there will be parts that you dont like at all, and will want to change scape. Getting it right can take week(s) so dont rush.

As mentioned, take that white boulder in the middle out, it should improve it visually. If you plan on having any SPS, you wont have enough room with your rocks all the way to the top of the tank. For SPS, your scape should stop about 1/2 the height of tank. I guess you made that rock wall to hide powerhead, but in doing so you will most likely restrics what corals you will be able to put there, as they will get blasted. Arches, while they may look nice to us, they are not natural at all. Look at pics of reefs in the oceans, and you wont find arches. They also dont do much room wise for corals, or fish wise for hiding spots. And again as mentioned, cleaning side of the tank will be impossible with rocks stacked on the glass.

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it for the most part. Consider removing the whiter rock on top in the middle or one of the two to the right of it and adjusting the remaining to add a bit more negative space/swim room, but it's fine as is too. I really dig the arch foot placement.
Yeah i hear you there, ill have a look which the white rock moved...its tough woth it being such a small set up...

JFJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do much more research, Google the "top 10 greatest reef tanks" that is already populated with coral and then try to imagine what the rock-work should look like to support such an amazing tank. Tons of information on YouTube, Remember to keep the end goal in mind.

You can also Google "the rule of thirds photography"

At the end of the day your scape should just look good to you and make you happy.

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to incorporate a scape that wont have dead spots, but also interesting enough to one day take corals.
im gonna prob go for some pulsing Xenia first as that’s been said to quite easy to care for

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like what you have now, leave it be for several days without looking at it. Then come back to it and look at it again. Most likely there will be parts that you dont like at all, and will want to change scape. Getting it right can take week(s) so dont rush.

As mentioned, take that white boulder in the middle out, it should improve it visually. If you plan on having any SPS, you wont have enough room with your rocks all the way to the top of the tank. For SPS, your scape should stop about 1/2 the height of tank. I guess you made that rock wall to hide powerhead, but in doing so you will most likely restrics what corals you will be able to put there, as they will get blasted. Arches, while they may look nice to us, they are not natural at all. Look at pics of reefs in the oceans, and you wont find arches. They also dont do much room wise for corals, or fish wise for hiding spots. And again as mentioned, cleaning side of the tank will be impossible with rocks stacked on the glass.
That’s great feedback,cheers,your right

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do much more research, Google the "top 10 greatest reef tanks" that is already populated with coral and then try to imagine what the rock-work should look like to support such an amazing tank. Tons of information on YouTube, Remember to keep the end goal in mind.

At the end of the day your scape should just look good to you and make you happy.
I’m trying to scape think about where coral Would like to be in the future but also eliminatind dead spots/poor flow

JFJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool your scape looks pretty great already, maybe just move it a little from the glass it will improve flow and ease of maintenance.
im gonna prob go for some pulsing Xenia first as that’s been said to quite easy to care for
Pulsating Xenia should come with a beware label, like the author of the article in the url below states. if not kept in toe it can easily overgrow your entire rock-work overwhelming all your other corals in a few months, it may be a good idea to add an island rock and limit them to the island. Do some Google research on them and all the other softies that is relatively easy to care for. Have a look at this https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/pulsing-xenia-a-unique-soft-coral-but-buyer-beware

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool your scape looks pretty great already, maybe just move it a little from the glass it will improve flow and ease of maintenance.

Pulsating Xenia should come with a beware label, like the author of the article in the url below states. if not kept in toe it can easily overgrow your entire rock-work overwhelming all your other corals in a few months, it may be a good idea to add an island rock and limit them to the island. Do some Google research on them and all the other softies that is relatively easy to care for. Have a look at this https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/pulsing-xenia-a-unique-soft-coral-but-buyer-beware
Id love a anemone if im honest but im dubious putting one in a tank this size, and if id have the expertise to keep it alive

OP
OP
The grimreefer

The grimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

15899158081821770905704098047779.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back