Aquascaping experience needed!

AliciaP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... you look here ebcause you have experience with aquascaping your tank :) I'm glad you peeked.... how do you aquascape? I have never been happy with how my rock work looks and I need advice and ideas I guess. I have large and small, some flat (flatish) and I just don'tknow how to get it into two islands and make it look good. My original plan in my 120 gallon tank was to cover the overflow box in the back, but I don't like that look either. I just made a wall that is rounded from the back towards the front on both sides, but I don't like it.

And I also don't know how to post pics so that you can see it and comment on it. Can I post a link to my facebook photo? Is there a better way to do it?

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4cf84ec4-c931-97b0.jpg

I need gills @_@

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you post a reply click on "go advanced".
There is a box called "manage attachments".
You can then select files from anywhere on your computer (some times they need to be downsized first)
Then upload files and drag them to the bottom box.

it should show up in your post.

dmorrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to do research on the style I'm going for before picking out the rock I want. then I cut out a sheet of cardboard the dimensions of the bottom ,and back of the tank. Then I set up the rocks on the cardboard until I find a a set up I like that is sturdy. Using the cardboard lets you try A lot of different set ups. It makes it much more simple then working in the tank.

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no right or wrong way to do it, you just go with it and keep going till you discover something you like. The one thing I can tell you is try ot to be envious of other peoples scaping because they just maybe just as envious of yours.

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make sure every piece does not wobble at all. Unless your using putty then the skies the limit.

I need gills @_@

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 120 and I used Pukani(sp) rock from BRS.

It's hard to tell from the picture. The taller rock(s) are in the back of the tank. There is a gap of 4-7 inches between the front and back rows.

I made a work bench and drew out the dimensions of my tank. I then stacked the rock how I wanted it. It is a free standing structure that I pushed up against the glass.

46b20ce9-d16b-0e94.jpg

46b20ce9-d196-b954.jpg

46b20ce9-d1b0-5d73.jpg

46b20ce9-d1ea-f24b.jpg

OP
OP
A

AliciaP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to use putty so that I can keep it off the glass and not topple over. I would like as much space as I can between the rocks too I think. I have always had nitrate problems, and I really want lots of flow through the rocks.

Not being envious is a hard thing to do. I'm always checking everyones rocks out :)

OP
OP
A

AliciaP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 2 island aquascape... hopefully a picture shows up (just a phone camera, don't expect too high quality lol)

Attachments

• 581176_2150782825754_1091883523_n.jpg
    581176_2150782825754_1091883523_n.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 195

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to aquascaping, there are a few tips I've learned. First, don't rush it. Play around with different ideas before adding water. Next, Google is your friend! Search images for different tanks and see what looks amazing to you. Planted freshwater aquariums can have some amazing aquascapes so search those too, and keep note of their rockwork. Many use a hardscape that just grabs you from across the room. Last, don't expect your first couple scapes to be award winners. It takes a lot of practice and study to get the feel of balance and flow while making it dramatic and pleasing to the eye. I've got 7 different fresh/marine tanks scaped right now and still wouldn't qualify myself as anything above amatuer.

For a two island, or Bommie scape, try making one much bigger than the other, putting them at opposite corners, or even giving them slightly different slope angles. Your scape looks good to me, so it just depends on how dramatic of a scape you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AliciaP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the island on the right a lot so far, it's got an open center almost all the way to the top and holes that the fish go in and peek out a different place. It took me 2 hours to build that, but I like it so far. The island on the left, I let my husband try to aquascape (in our 5 years in SW he has always left it up to me). I hate the boring, flat, ugly rock in the front. But the island does have a nice cave around the bottom back half that the chromis love to sleep in at night, so it's good enough for now.

I will go read the article, and thanks for photos!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back