NSA aquascape vs “regular aquascape” rock requirements.

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am switching my aquascape up for my Waterbox 20 cube, and I am hoping to get some feedback regarding suggested rock weight. For example, currently I have 19 lbs of rock, but my new aquascape as it stands currently weighs about 7 pounds. I’m worried that if I add much more weight it will hinder my tanks NSA features? I’d love to get your thoughts!
Mike

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am switching my aquascape up for my Waterbox 20 cube, and I am hoping to get some feedback regarding suggested rock weight. For example, currently I have 19 lbs of rock, but my new aquascape as it stands currently weighs about 7 pounds. I’m worried that if I add much more weight it will hinder my tanks NSA features? I’d love to get your thoughts!
Mike
Pictures?

Possible fish list?

OP
OP
N

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all I really have is 2 clowns, 1 sand sifting goby, a royal gramma and various CUC.
IMG_2179.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 60

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, nsa aquascape is 100% for your viewing pleasure, nothing to do really with the livestock benefit, so if you think adding more rocks will make it look ugly, then seems like you answered your own question

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned that adding more rock to increase biological filtration will negatively impact the aesthetic you are trying to achieve, you can add rock or other media in the sump, if you have one. This is the approach I took with my NSA, I added MarinePure blocks in the sump. If you do not have a sump, possibly a HOB would be an option.

OP
OP
N

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, you all bring up a good point, I have loads of ceramic media in the AIO area, it may be a solution to make half nsa and half normal, for the sake of filtration/fish. I really appreciate all the insight. Thanks folks!

OP
OP
N

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a possibility to have a NSA aquascape, with loads of water movement and still have some places for fish to hide? Would love to see some examples

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a possibility to have a NSA aquascape, with loads of water movement and still have some places for fish to hide? Would love to see some examples
I made sure to have multiple hiding places for all my fish. I have a lot of flow and everyone seems happy. I wanted open space but hiding spaces, overall happy with mine.

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpeg
    IMG_5236.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 53

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely laid out
Pinterest…lol …. Although I’m doing g a new tank soon soo this is giving me ideas.

My fish like their hidey holes much to my displeasure but I want them happy.

My mandarin loves all the rocks in my tank I doubt I’ll do a NSA
IMG_7061.jpeg

This one
IMG_7238.jpeg
that entire left side is like a cave system
IMG_7060.jpeg

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome feedback folks, I will be breaking down what I had to try again, I really appreciate your assistance. Super glad I didn’t mortar yet.
Look up NSA aquascapea on Pinterest or maybe even habitat nsa aquascapes??

I know my new tank will need places for the nems to attach.

My tomini tang is a scardey cat.
But my purple likes to zoom.

My clowns hang with the nems

I need to come up with a plan for the new tank! Thanks for making this post! It’s giving me ideas!

I also need to consider (and so should you) where you want your corals and what types.

As you can see in my pictures of my current tank I have plenty or corals I need to consider placement of. My new tank has a coast to coast overflow so I will have extra floor space to work with!. New tank is also 2 inches wider!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back