Aquascaping help

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help with my aquascape. Am I gonna have problems with bad stuff getting stuck/ building up under or around rocks. Tank is a IM 25 lagoon with mp10 for flow as well as stock mighty jet return. Any suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated.
46CFE3B1-B33A-404F-A9BD-7AE039F9DD9B.jpeg
F4F89B71-654B-4B9B-A325-55A2412AEFE6.jpeg E00A8759-0F72-4233-BE38-0A4856DDEC89.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I think you made a great tank choice. But beyond that, I actually like your scape— and as long as you can get a Flipper Mini between the glass and the rock (and it appears you can)— you’re golden. Best wishes! Can’t wait to see more photos. :)

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I think you made a great tank choice. But beyond that, I actually like your scape— and as long as you can get a Flipper Mini between the glass and the rock (and it appears you can)— you’re golden. Best wishes! Can’t wait to see more photos. :)
Thanks, I plan on making a build thread once I get some time. Hopefully soon.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s looks really good. I made a great scape for my 25 but made it a bit taller than I should have. I think yours will serve you well

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going bare bottom? If you go with sand, Florida Fighting Conchs are excellent for the sand in a tank that size.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s looks really good. I made a great scape for my 25 but made it a bit taller than I should have. I think yours will serve you well
Thank you, this has always been one of the most challenging parts for me. This is the 3rd tank and I struggle each time. Last scape I battled detritus build up around the rocks. Hoping to eliminate that with this build.
Are you going bare bottom? If you go with sand, Florida Fighting Conchs are excellent for the sand in a tank that size.
I will be using sand for this one. CaribSea special grade. I’m a fan of sand but that’s just personal preference.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about flow, you can raise the large base rocks with a few smaller rocks, like of like putting them on legs and creating caves and underpasses. Should improve flow and your fishes will appreciate the extra hiding spots

For ex, this is mine, the bottom, instead of 1 big base rock, is 4 small rocks propping up the large piece in the middle where the montis and psammies are. 1 flat verticle piece on the left (with the blast and leptos), and 3 smaller pieces on the right (with the gorgonia). The right side looks like 1 large piece but its not. It's hollow made from the 3 small pieces forming a "Y" shaped tunnel. Where the coral band shrimp is guarding is actually the opening of the tunnel that opens up to the far side corner.

20210916_191430.jpg

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about flow, you can raise the large base rocks with a few smaller rocks, like of like putting them on legs and creating caves and underpasses. Should improve flow and your fishes will appreciate the extra hiding spots

For ex, this is mine, the bottom, instead of 1 big base rock, is 4 small rocks propping up the large piece in the middle where the montis and psammies are. 1 flat verticle piece on the left (with the blast and leptos), and 3 smaller pieces on the right (with the gorgonia). The right side looks like 1 large piece but its not. It's hollow made from the 3 small pieces forming a "Y" shaped tunnel. Where the coral band shrimp is guarding is actually the opening of the tunnel that opens up to the far side corner.

20210916_191430.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can do. Your scape looks awesome.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Dkmoo to lift up the base to help with flow. If returns are pointed at front glass as shown you should get circulation down face and under rocks (once on “legs”. Then you other pumps can help push it back up to your wires. Good luck and looks great.

125g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 25 is not very big, so you might not mind this comment as you will get the too down view, but from the front, the back rear right corner is lost space for coral placement. Again, you will see this from the top, but your creatures might like to hangout there which would cause you to not see them from the front. Just aobservation, however I do like the aquascape.

25 gallon lagoon is a nice choice, my Daughter and I have one set up as I build my 125 gallon (over 2 years of very slow progress, lol)

Wish you luck!

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Dkmoo to lift up the base to help with flow. If returns are pointed at front glass as shown you should get circulation down face and under rocks (once on “legs”. Then you other pumps can help push it back up to your wires. Good luck and looks great.
I am gonna try to get the rocks up off the sand some so that I can get this to happen. This is great information.
The 25 is not very big, so you might not mind this comment as you will get the too down view, but from the front, the back rear right corner is lost space for coral placement. Again, you will see this from the top, but your creatures might like to hangout there which would cause you to not see them from the front. Just aobservation, however I do like the aquascape.

25 gallon lagoon is a nice choice, my Daughter and I have one set up as I build my 125 gallon (over 2 years of very slow progress, lol)

Wish you luck!
So since I made this post earlier today a couple things have happened, one being my wife walked in the room and said exactly what you said, the back right looks empty. We are working on that as we speak. The other thing is when I measured out the water line Compared to the top of the rock structure they almost meet. I have a feeling I might have to start new.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back