Aquascaping question

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I being my rescape. I have read that it is best to use Rock lift to keep the rocks obave the sand. I have read that the large rocks need to be on the bottom which is what I have right now and don't like it. I have read that you can put small rocks on the bottom to hold the large rock of the sand but can't that crack the glass on the bottom. I like the idea but don't have a spare tank if it does crack. I have nothing to do tomorrow so I will be rescapeing my tank. So any help we be appreciated. What do you guys and gals do.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it's best to put the rock on the bottom of the glass before adding any sand to prevent shifting. I don't see how rock on the bottom would cause it to crack unless it moves or something...

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of larger and smaller rock throughout by base. I see no issue with the glass, whether the rocks that are on top are small or large (still the same weight imo). Just make sure they are secure in place. I have never tried to raise my rock off the sand. My rocks are 20% buried within the sand to prevent shifting. I try to sit my rocks in place and then give them a skake or so to see what the give might be so I don't have a rock slide (which might bust the glass, or acrylic in my case). I kinda like 2 smaller rocks across from each other with a larger one kinda '' bridged'' over them creating a cave/ledge look. This always gave me a nice place for my tangs to call theirs. I think my 240 has about 2 or 3 of these now.

RICKO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally putting my tank together tomorrow and I've found plastic coat hangers about the same color as the rocks I'm goin to cut them into lengths and drill the rock and place the lengths into the holes like a dowl joint I sapose.. You could do sumthing simalar to create lift of your base? What do use think?

OP
OP
REEFKEEPER10

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally putting my tank together tomorrow and I've found plastic coat hangers about the same color as the rocks I'm goin to cut them into lengths and drill the rock and place the lengths into the holes like a dowl joint I sapose.. You could do sumthing simalar to create lift of your base? What do use think?

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Congrats on setting up your tank.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it's best to put the rock on the bottom of the glass before adding any sand to prevent shifting. I don't see how rock on the bottom would cause it to crack unless it moves or something...

I do this, Ive dropped so much stuff in my tank over the years and have yet to break the glass. Its stronger than you think but you can always use egg crate for piece of mind.

OP
OP
REEFKEEPER10

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this, Ive dropped so much stuff in my tank over the years and have yet to break the glass. Its stronger than you think but you can always use egg crate for piece of mind.

Just being cautious. I figured it wouldn't but just wanted to make sure. I had planned on doing it to day but my mother and laws took our girls for a few days so I desided to enjoy the piece and quite by sleeping. Lol

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back