Aquascaping

AirAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This maybe one of those "what does it matter" questions but Im curious about appearance. I have only seen a couple of tanks in person that have been established for several years and I didn't pay attention or notice this detail. Im sure I'll get varying opinions, just lookin for a general consensus.
When placing rock in your tank (a larger narrow one) did you put it against the back glass or keep it away?? If its against the glass does the alage you can't scrape off eventually just blend in with the rockwork or do you feel it become an eyesore??

mike

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put it on the back glass. I would leave a little room for flow and fish to swim and hide

Luckfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+ on not putting it on the back of the glass, you really don't want such constant pressure on the glass. Folks usually leave a little room and some folks even use plastic light diffuser material on the bottom to keep the rocks from direct contact there.

Last edited:

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
However, my tank is drilled and has a urethane overflow box in the back left corner and I did take advantage of that for my reef to taper from right to left and lean against it (the overflow) for additional support. It did this with only small areas of some rocks touching it. The next trick was to be sure water flows through all caves and such, like a real reef.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I scaped my 110 I did my best not to let glass touch any glass, as it helps with the flow of water and helps not to create any dead spots. And as Luckfish stated I used a plastic egg crate under my sand to help diffuse pressure on the bottom glass. It went: Egg Crate--> Rock--> Sand.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
Little late on the bottom crate, but my 125 has 1/2" glass.

Aquariums are made to hold the rock. You are better off without the egg crate. You would be better off putting egg crate under your sofa.

As for rock and glass, I have mine 3-4 inches from the back glass.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquariums are made to hold the rock. You are better off without the egg crate. You would be better off putting egg crate under your sofa.

As for rock and glass, I have mine 3-4 inches from the back glass.

+1
I was thinking that egg crate under rock in the sand is a trap for areas that can not be reached by the clean up crew.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
I was thinking that egg crate under rock in the sand is a trap for areas that can not be reached by the clean up crew.

That is exactly what it is. Any substrate you have (sand or gravel) will disperse weight of rock. The is no benefit to egg crate.

fireman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dont use eggcrate. The only purpose for the eggcrate is so burrowing fish or critters dont get under your rockwork and make it topple. Also keep rock off glass for flow and eliminate deas spots.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dont use eggcrate. The only purpose for the eggcrate is so burrowing fish or critters dont get under your rockwork and make it topple. Also keep rock off glass for flow and eliminate deas spots.

With this said, is there a best practice for making your structure safe from critters burrowing to avoid such an event of the rocks toppling over without the use of eggcrate?

sent from never never land...

fireman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3rd saltwater tank over many years. Ive never used eggcrate and ive never had problem with rocks falling or fish or critters. Knock on wood. Nor to say it wont happen. I just dont worry about it. Some people take every precautionary method. Some people use zip ties, PVC., acrylic rod, or glue.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my rock on the glass then add sand. If i did have one that was topheavy and wobbled I would drill a few holes and glue some acrylic rods in to act as legs. This is also a good idea to get rock off the glass if you have borrowing fish and want to supply the most possible space for them to burrow.

Back