Aquatic figurines- Cool or not Cool?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Pineapple under the sea? Plastic plants? Bubbling treasure chests? Stop the madness!
But wait, have you seen in just about every fish store that very detailed sunken ship. There’s two pieces to it. A front and a back section. I have to admit, I’m a fan.
I’ve got 30 sps corals growing nicely in my 72” long reef but the addition of that ship looks pretty cool.
We joined our kids and grandkids last year in Disneyland. Long story short, It’s a Small World is rather hokey. But Pirates of the Caribbean is more like a movie set.
So, just curious if any hardcore reefers have any figurines?

IMG_4234.jpeg

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a personal choice. If you like it, and it is Reef safe, then put it in.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno but I have a series of “lifelike” naked mermaids in plastic packages that have a hole in the clear plastic shell that’ says “touch”. Could never figure out if it was a purposeful funny thing or just an insanely awkward oversight.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldnt it be almost pointless once coraline hit your scape and covered it up?
I always entertained the thought of having a toy inside, like a old bomber, or a half broken submarine / ship, but once everything is covered in coraline, it all looks the same no?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldnt it be almost pointless once coraline hit your scape and covered it up?
I always entertained the thought of having a toy inside, like a old bomber, or a half broken submarine / ship, but once everything is covered in coraline, it all looks the same no?
Good point. Well we’ll see. I think it might be some time before that happens?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of putting things in the tank and then having encrusting corals take them over. I don't want a pineapple in my tank but a broken plane with cyphastrea over half of it is kinda cool.
Glad to hear. Was really wondering. Definitely no pineapples. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought doing a wrecked train set underwater would be cool. Like it was a collapsed bridge or just some railway reclaimed by the ocean. Tbh I’m surprised you don’t see much of anything like that in this hobby. I can see how it could be in a lot of ways tacky, but I could also see a lot of it being tasteful

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought doing a wrecked train set underwater would be cool. Like it was a collapsed bridge or just some railway reclaimed by the ocean. Tbh I’m surprised you don’t see much of anything like that in this hobby. I can see how it could be in a lot of ways tacky, but I could also see a lot of it being tasteful
Agreed, you don’t see much. And what you do see doesn’t look authentic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back