Aquatic Life RO/DI Filter Change

Jkellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am to the point where I need to change at a minimum 3/4 filters on the unit. I don't think the membrane is quite due but in a couple months it will be so grabbed a new membrane cartridge as well. Is there an order I am supposed to change the filters as to be able to flush them without ruining the new membrane?

My current plan is to change the sediment and the carbon while leaving the old membrane on. Then run it for 20-30 minutes to flush those 2. Then I was going to change the membrane and the de ion cartridges and run it for another 20-30 minutes to flush those. Does this sound like the right course of action? I don't want to ruin the new membrane cartridge with the new carbon one up stream.

Thanks!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am to the point where I need to change at a minimum 3/4 filters on the unit. I don't think the membrane is quite due but in a couple months it will be so grabbed a new membrane cartridge as well. Is there an order I am supposed to change the filters as to be able to flush them without ruining the new membrane?

My current plan is to change the sediment and the carbon while leaving the old membrane on. Then run it for 20-30 minutes to flush those 2. Then I was going to change the membrane and the de ion cartridges and run it for another 20-30 minutes to flush those. Does this sound like the right course of action? I don't want to ruin the new membrane cartridge with the new carbon one up stream.

Thanks!
Which aquatic life is it? Not really a big deal, but may affect how you rinse the new filter and media.

But usually you can change in any order. Best to remove the line after the carbon and let the water run for a bit to avoid any dust going into the membrane. From there, I then run the bypass to wash off the new membrane (flushing). After that, just run as normal.

If you don’t have a flush valve, google them, easy to make or cheap to buy premade.

OP
OP
J

Jkellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which aquatic life is it? Not really a big deal, but may affect how you rinse the new filter and media.

But usually you can change in any order. Best to remove the line after the carbon and let the water run for a bit to avoid any dust going into the membrane. From there, I then run the bypass to wash off the new membrane (flushing). After that, just run as normal.

If you don’t have a flush valve, google them, easy to make or cheap to buy premade.

I have that one. When you say bypass do you mean the little cap things that you can put on instead of the canister so the water still makes it to the end?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have that one. When you say bypass do you mean the little cap things that you can put on instead of the canister so the water still makes it to the end?
Ok. That one does not have a flush valve. A flush valve will basically be a tee that goes right before the restrictor (small round thing on top of ro section and the waste water comes out of) and then a valve to bypass the restrictor. This allows water to just run past the membrane and not build pressure to go through it. Not a huge deal, but does extend life if you flush from time to time.

For that unit, you will need to just leave the membrane canister off after replacing the carbon filter. Let it run for about 5 minutes this way and it should clear any dust out of the new carbon canister. After that, you could just disconnect the restrictor and let run for 10 minutes to flush your old membrane or rinse the new. Once that is done, put back to normal and run it to make water.

Also, flushing for a few minutes before you make water prevents tds creep and can make resin last longer.

OP
OP
J

Jkellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That one does not have a flush valve. A flush valve will basically be a tee that goes right before the restrictor (small round thing on top of ro section and the waste water comes out of) and then a valve to bypass the restrictor. This allows water to just run past the membrane and not build pressure to go through it. Not a huge deal, but does extend life if you flush from time to time.

For that unit, you will need to just leave the membrane canister off after replacing the carbon filter. Let it run for about 5 minutes this way and it should clear any dust out of the new carbon canister. After that, you could just disconnect the restrictor and let run for 10 minutes to flush your old membrane or rinse the new. Once that is done, put back to normal and run it to make water.

Also, flushing for a few minutes before you make water prevents tds creep and can make resin last longer.
Thank you!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back