Aquatic Life T5 hybrid shroud/shade?

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone came up with a DIY shade to block light spill (mainly front) from this T5 fixture? I saw the one where someone used 90 degree aluminum “L” bar, but I’m hoping to see some other ideas. Considering fastening some black felt around the edges to drape down a few inches or so to make a skirt/curtain.

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping your post!
Thanks. I ended up cutting a strip of thick black felt and used pieces of the foam spline that came with the fixture, to secure it in the cord routing channel. Works really well but not the greatest to look at.
42977B70-7E2A-4E31-894E-9557A67BB5D1.jpeg

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this idea was very nice!

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this idea was very nice!
Yea, I saw that one. I may end up doing that mod but so far the felt “skirt” is working nicely (though not as clean looking).

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of 3D printing interlocking plates with the ability to glue magnets into so i can remove easily if needed.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone came up with a DIY shade to block light spill (mainly front) from this T5 fixture? I saw the one where someone used 90 degree aluminum “L” bar, but I’m hoping to see some other ideas. Considering fastening some black felt around the edges to drape down a few inches or so to make a skirt/curtain.
I used industrial velcro and a 48"×6" black acrylic panel across the front and also down the sides of the fixture.

I can get pictures later, this is cheap and easily removed for acess and it is a great light spill shade.:cool:

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i essentially did the same but used black poly craft board so i can rinse the salt spray off. works solid!

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never run a tank without a canopy. Strange to me they went out of fashion.

They take care of light spill, fish jumping, and keep your water protected from aerosols and the like. Plus you easily can hang any lights you want.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They take care of light spill, fish jumping, and keep your water protected from aerosols and the like. Plus you easily can hang any lights you want.
I think the reason they fell out of fashion is due to the trend toward rimless tanks. I considered building one as I have a rimmed 90g.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they have their plus' and agree with a little of what you mentioned but they do have their downsides too.
They help but aren't foolproof for jumpers on every tank as i've lost fish even with a screen top having fish jump and get hung up in the mesh. To me the biggest reason is that lights and hanging kits have come a long way in the past 10 years and its led the trend to "light and airy" builds no longer requiring large fixtures and cables everywhere.

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think manufacturers should do more to integrate light shades into their designs.

My tank is in my office and I sit next to it so that really limits my options for light options since I can’t have blue light in my face all day

I know you said you saw the thread with the aluminum “L” profile, but here it is for
Anyone else’s reference - I followed this guys design and have been very happy with the results

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-aquatic-life-dx18-canopy-shade.772078/

IMG_0713.jpeg IMG_0712.jpeg

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be doing black poly craft board outside with white board inside to reflect more light in. I will probably use magnets.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpeg
    IMG_1018.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 9

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back