Aquatic Life T5 / Kessil 360X Hybrid Height Above Water

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up my tank. I have this combination of lights hung but was curious as to how high I should hang it from the top of the water. I think I have it at about 8" right now. Looking at many pictures lights seem to be higher off the water than that. I do plan on renting a PAR meter before I get any corals to verify output. Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up my tank. I have this combination of lights hung but was curious as to how high I should hang it from the top of the water. I think I have it at about 8" right now. Looking at many pictures lights seem to be higher off the water than that. I do plan on renting a PAR meter before I get any corals to verify output. Thanks!
8" seems to be my happy number as well :) It's a good place to start

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two A360x with the Giesemann Stellar T5 over my new build. Currently it's 15" off the waterline. The Kessils are ramp up to 35% intensity for 6 hours and I only run the T5 for 2 hours during peak. Since my tank is fairly new I'm trying to limit an algae breakout. Currently I have a mix of SPS and LPS. All of the corals seem to be doing just fine. Need to rent a PAR meter from BRS so I can really get an idea of PAR numbers between the T5 vs Kessil output along with the combination of the two.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does does a standard USB-C cord work to connect the lights vs buying the 10 foot one from Kessil?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does does a standard USB-C cord work to connect the lights vs buying the 10 foot one from Kessil?
I would think the USB -C would work. Only thing is you need the USB -C on both sides to connect two or more lights and to the New Spectral X Controller. One thing to note is the lights look much cleaner with the 90 degree adapter. I found out the hard way that cable with the controller doesn't come with the 90 degree adapter and the extra 10ft cable I purchased it only came with one 90 degree adapter. I reached out to Kessil and they stated it was designed this way and you cannot purchase the 90 degree adapter from them. So I had to purchase two of the 10ft cables so both inputs to the A360x's matched. I couldn't find any 90 degree adapters online either.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the aquatic life hybrid also.. started at about 11” but have moved mine down to 8”, still plenty of room to get into tank and everything is happy.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own hybrid T5/LED fixture for my 40G. I used the T5 retrofit kits from BRS and AI Hydra26HD's. I hung mine with about 12" of clearance above the tank for the sole reason of being able to stick my head out and over the water (and under the light fixture) to be able to view my corals from above. ...a simple but important consideration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back