Longevity of the Kessil 360x

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to people’s experience with the Kessil 360x and whether it has really been more resilient than its immediate predecessor the 360we? I had a few in warranty early failures with the WE, a couple go at around 3 years, and then others still running at 5. At that point, in late 2018, I replaced them with the 360x. Had a couple of early failure with them also, but then good until relatively recently when, at right round 5 years, I lost two in succession. I believe Kessil states the useful life of these to be 5-7 years, so I guess I cannot complain too much. A little unimpressive though that the X don’t really seem to improve much over the WE in this regard. They compare poorly to my Radion G4 that have been running with nary a complaint for 7 1/2 years (and for which I have spares ).

Not sure what I will do in terms of replacements. Doubt I’ll go Kessil again since I’m now just keeping softies.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted this a few times so I am sorry if someone has read it.

2020 bought 3 brand new 360x

14 ish months - first stopped working. Kessil offered new one for like $360 or some price around there. I declined.

2 year mark- number 2 stopped working for no reason.

3 year mark- third stopped working.

The third one was rarely used because I completely switched to ecotech /T5 hybrid plus 2 reefbrites.

I love the kessil color it produces. Would never buy/own another. Way too sketchy. Very unfortunate.

They were ran at 60%. Cleaned regularly. No reason to just stop working.

I had 2 a160s years ago and they lasted almost 5 years.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not read this before, so thanks for posting here. As I debate the replacement path im reminded of the old saying ‘fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me’. Is there a thrice ?

I just haven’t paid much attention to the reality/hype around lighting for a few years (thus my still using the venerable Radion G4) so I suppose I’ll have to do a bit of sleuthing.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should say that. I’ve a couple of 360x tuna sun (stupid name, I guess all the good ones were taken) left over when my frog terrarium got shut down. I’ve toyed with trying them. I go back far enough in the hobby to remember the early days of MH lighting when the only choice was the Osram NDL double ended bulb (5000 K if memory serves).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not owned any previous Kessil's but the a360x have been pretty solid performers for me. I originally had 4 of them over my 210 display. I'd guess 3 years in service. Started with the hardwired controller, Spectra X or whatever it is called then moved over to the wireless dongle with Apex integration. Huge quality of life improvement.

Somewhere around the start of the Covid lockdown I had one light that started to flicker on/off. I reached out to Kessil, they replied within 24 hours, and asked for some information. Few emails exchanged and they cross shipped me a new light. At this time shipping times are wonky due to medical shipping priorities being higher but they still somehow managed to get me a light next day even though I didn't need it. I guess my point is that support was excellent even in a time of crazy.

I've since switched over to Neptune SKY's, a pair, and the Kessil a360x are tucked away with the exception of one being over my refugium. I will be installing the remaining three over a new display paired up with the SKY's so will be put to good use.

Honestly what I experienced is that they will last provided we, hobbyist, do our part. Depending on installation and dust in ones home they need regular attention. That means taking off line, or powered off, dusted out, wiped down, etc. I do my best to make sure they can breath and be cooled which probably helps. I do not leave them alone and get covered in dust.

Little on the expensive side of things but overall a quality kit.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Life of LEDs is 3-5 years anyways. Will they still put out light? Likely. But not usable PAR.

That said 3-5 years of pretty tough use(humidity, salt, heat) is tough on electronics. Some of these failures are likely board failures where a component fails.

I had a couple of my kessils last 4+ years when I replaced them as I noticed a drop in color and growth.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny you should say that. I’ve a couple of 360x tuna sun (stupid name, I guess all the good ones were taken) left over when my frog terrarium got shut down. I’ve toyed with trying them. I go back far enough in the hobby to remember the early days of MH lighting when the only choice was the Osram NDL double ended bulb (5000 K if memory serves).
If I had a softie or clam only tank, I would strongly consider the Tuna Suns. Nothing beats 6500k for either animals, plus fish looking awesome under that lighting. I guess that’s why I’m still using 14k Ushio’s mixed with some Quanta meso blues.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life of LEDs is 3-5 years anyways. Will they still put out light? Likely. But not usable PAR.

That said 3-5 years of pretty tough use(humidity, salt, heat) is tough on electronics. Some of these failures are likely board failures where a component fails.

I had a couple of my kessils last 4+ years when I replaced them as I noticed a drop in color and growth.

Most LED manufactures put a life expectancy / hour on them. Kessil does. Keep in mind that not every hobbyist runs their kits at 100%. That will change things a bit as well. Also there is a ramp up, down, etc. All things to consider not to mention how many are over the display.

Then again to circle back to my point above with regular maintenance. It is good practice.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But wait!!

I thought LEDs were more cost effective than t5s? ;)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Id definitely say longer than 3-5 years from my experience depending on the light and how it was cared for

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! Does a t5 bulb cost 799$? Does t5 give awesome shadows?!

I don't know. A360x is anywhere from 400 to 450 US.

Single ATI T5 blue is 20 US (BRS)
Single ATI T5 coral plus is 21 US (BRS)

How many, what combination, how long do they last before fall off? I think ATI said to replace around 9 month marker depending on the schedule. How many LED's are needed vs bulbs vs hourly cost estimate are all fun questions.

Both will grow corals so I guess it comes down to personal preference and budget.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. A360x is anywhere from 400 to 450 US.

Single ATI T5 blue is 20 US (BRS)
Single ATI T5 coral plus is 21 US (BRS)

How many, what combination, how long do they last before fall off? I think ATI said to replace around 9 month marker depending on the schedule. How many LED's are needed vs bulbs vs hourly cost estimate are all fun questions.

Both will grow corals so I guess it comes down to personal preference and budget.

T5s last 18 months ; I run mine for 24 months

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Id definitely say longer than 3-5 years from my experience depending on the light and how it was cared for

The usable spectrum of the LED diodes is 3-5 years. That accounts for ramping etc.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most LED manufactures put a life expectancy / hour on them. Kessil does. Keep in mind that not every hobbyist runs their kits at 100%. That will change things a bit as well. Also there is a ramp up, down, etc. All things to consider not to mention how many are over the display.

Then again to circle back to my point above with regular maintenance. It is good practice.

See above. But 3-5 years is the usable spectrum life of LED diodes.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kessil's website says 35,000 hours, about 5-7 years.

Last edited:

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kessil's website says to 35,000 hours, about 5-7 years.

Usable spectrum. Test new and test old. You’ll see a major loss of spectrum.

Huh. If that's true, I wonder why I'm still able to grow a ton of coral under my old-gen 3 radions from 2014...

Depends on use. You’ll obviously be able to still grow coral. Will it grow as well as day 1? Absolutely not. Because the usable spectrum has shifted. Stop being naive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back