aquatic life twist in rodi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I bought this rodi about 8 months ago now and Id like to do a little review on it. First off this is the slowest 100 gpd rodi Ive every had id rate it more at 75 gpd and my other complaint is the filters do not last at all! I have decent city water and find to start getting tds over 5 or so after about a month and replacing all the filters every 2 months and they say they are good for 6 months thats a joke. I make 10 gallons of rodi a week and I test with a handheld tds meter. Does anyone else have this issue?

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I bought this rodi about 8 months ago now and Id like to do a little review on it. First off this is the slowest 100 gpd rodi Ive every had id rate it more at 75 gpd and my other complaint is the filters do not last at all! I have decent city water and find to start getting tds over 5 or so after about a month and replacing all the filters every 2 months and they say they are good for 6 months thats a joke. I make 10 gallons of rodi a week and I test with a handheld tds meter. Does anyone else have this issue?
I’ve had my for a year now. Only replaced the first 2 canisters for the first time just about a week ago. Have always read 0 tds after. My city water reads about 230-250. I make about 15 gallons a week. I’m using a tds meter that you can plumb in the unit. I don’t have any issues with it. Except for maybe a more expensive DI canister that other brands but I’m not 100% on this yet

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same ro/di unit and been meaning to get one of these myself.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-inline-tds-meter-dm-1-hm-digital.html

200031-TDS-Meter-Dual-Inline-DM-1-a_1.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What kind of PSI are you getting? And what's your city's TDS at the tap? Chlorines or chloramines?? There could be something else at work here that's causing your issues

OP
OP
Stickboy15

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how to measure the psi but it’s strong and has a good flow, I know my city tds in around 385-410 tds and I know they don’t use chlorine’s because they just did a upgrade on there equipment a while back, which I hear the equipment is still pretty old and bad

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how to measure the psi but it’s strong and has a good flow, I know my city tds in around 385-410 tds and I know they don’t use chlorine’s because they just did a upgrade on there equipment a while back, which I hear the equipment is still pretty old and bad

I would double check this information, PSI can be checked with a gauge which is only $13. I don't know what type of membrane the RO Buddy uses but I'm guessing it's a standard membrane so 95-97% rejection rate which would mean your sending roughly 12-21 TDS into your DI stage which will eat up your resin pretty quickly. Also very important you know if you're dealing with chlorine or chloramines (they could have swapped to chloramines regardless of what equipment they use). As not having the right carbon block will destroy your membrane VERY quickly.

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1

All of the discussion is spot on. If you would like to PM me I will be glad to dig into it more with you. Several points in the discussion are important to know.
Water pressure
Water temperature
Water treatment method - chlorine or chloramine
Water supply TDS
Water supply sediment level​

Knowing all the variables we can help to make sure you have what you need in place to work with your water supply.

OP
OP
Stickboy15

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check this information, PSI can be checked with a gauge which is only $13. I don't know what type of membrane the RO Buddy uses but I'm guessing it's a standard membrane so 95-97% rejection rate which would mean your sending roughly 12-21 TDS into your DI stage which will eat up your resin pretty quickly. Also very important you know if you're dealing with chlorine or chloramines (they could have swapped to chloramines regardless of what equipment they use). As not having the right carbon block will destroy your membrane VERY quickly.
It’s not the ro buddy. It’s the good one it’s the 100gpd twist in rodi 4 stage

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the ro buddy. It’s the good one it’s the 100gpd twist in rodi 4 stage

Okay, sorry for the mix up but regardless we will need all the info we asked for above to help figure things out. And does the membrane by chance inform you of its rejection rate in a percentage? (I am still pretty certain they use standard membranes with the twist in which case my numbers hold true) And "The good one" is a relative term, but let's see if we can get your sorted out

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit with the aquatic life booster pump. I get 340 TDs from my well and 4 TDs after ro membrane. I burn through a di every 4 weeks. I do change it out as soon as it reads 1 tds. I ordered the triple di filter from brs. I just installed it but hopefully it helps. I couldn't take spending $30 every 4 weeks on a di resin.

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit with the aquatic life booster pump. I get 340 TDs from my well and 4 TDs after rookie membrane. I burn through a di every 4 weeks. I do change it out as soon as it reads 1

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
It might be CO2 with the well. When I speak with customers that are burning through resin, they typically are on well. I know BRS did a good job in staging the resins to help limit the CO2 possibly depleting the resin as quickly or just more economically.

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I know I will be resurrecting this post, but at least it is informative for everyone and better than creating a new one.
I wanted to ask @AquaticLifeProducts, I have the 4 stage 100g + AL booster pump/buddie. My water comes in from tap at 33 TDS and leaves the rodi unit at zero, for around one year straight. I was talking to a friend that told me even that I don't get tds over 0, I should still change my filters more often because of chloramines/chlorine. I wonder if that is true and should replace it, say twice a year? Any insights? Here's the "WaterWords2019" from the county I live in:
1582128517403.png

Thank you!

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I know I will be resurrecting this post, but at least it is informative for everyone and better than creating a new one.
I wanted to ask @AquaticLifeProducts, I have the 4 stage 100g + AL booster pump/buddie. My water comes in from tap at 33 TDS and leaves the rodi unit at zero, for around one year straight. I was talking to a friend that told me even that I don't get tds over 0, I should still change my filters more often because of chloramines/chlorine. I wonder if that is true and should replace it, say twice a year? Any insights? Here's the "WaterWords2019" from the county I live in:
1582128517403.png

Thank you!
Also, it looks like they use chlorine, not chloramine. My unit is the twist in by the way...

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Good morning. The report appears to only show your water is treated with chlorine and not Chloramine. So if only treated with chlorine at the highest chlorine measured at 2.19, I would expect you to make around 700 - 1,000 gallons of filtered water with the filter before I would change the carbon block. The sediment has more of an impact on flow rate and as long as you are not seeing a decrease in production you are ok.

Most however change the sediment when the carbon is changed to keep on the same schedule.

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. The report appears to only show your water is treated with chlorine and not Chloramine. So if only treated with chlorine at the highest chlorine measured at 2.19, I would expect you to make around 700 - 1,000 gallons of filtered water with the filter before I would change the carbon block. The sediment has more of an impact on flow rate and as long as you are not seeing a decrease in production you are ok.

Most however change the sediment when the carbon is changed to keep on the same schedule.
Thanks for the quick reply. Now it makes sense my acros aren't as happy as before, it has been probably over 1500 gallons now since I installed the carbon block lol. New cartridges arrive today.

What would be your recommended replacement time for each cartridge?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
If you take your weekly water production and divide that into the 700 or 1,000 it would give you how many weeks between changes.

Example: 40 gallons filtered water per week would give you 700/40= 17 weeks or 1,000/40 = 25 weeks. if you have your chlorine ppm we can try to calculate more accurately.

Back