Rodi

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brand new 5 stage rodi system and it was reading 9 on the tds meter, it’s been a year and a couple filter and resin changes and I’m still reading between 2-4 tds.
I don’t understand why ‍♀️ my previous system was always at zero unless it was close to needing a resin change.
I’m going to try changing the membrane and filter once more and hope it drops to zero.
Regardless is it safe enough to use the water in my aquarium with it measuring 4 on the tds meter?

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brand new 5 stage rodi system and it was reading 9 on the tds meter, it’s been a year and a couple filter and resin changes and I’m still reading between 2-4 tds.
I don’t understand why ‍♀️ my previous system was always at zero unless it was close to needing a resin change.
I’m going to try changing the membrane and filter once more and hope it drops to zero.
Regardless is it safe enough to use the water in my aquarium with it measuring 4 on the tds meter?
Are you reading the TDS after membrane (4 would be reasonable) or reading TDS after resin (final output and should be 0)?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your tds is out of the tap? Typically you get a 90ish% tds drop out of the membrane and the rest is handled by resin. I have seen crazy high source tds and still have a reading of some level of tds at the filtered water.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your tds is out of the tap? Typically you get a 90ish% tds drop out of the membrane and the rest is handled by resin. I have seen crazy high source tds and still have a reading of some level of tds at the filtered water.
Around 34 out of the tap

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tds meter on my system and I bought another tds meter to check my tap water
I’m not sure what you mean as far as where the test is being taken. Im in north Florida

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need booster pump… if you’re not pushing around the 80psi range the membrane isn’t working to its full potential… 34tds is crazy good outta a tap! My tap in Vegas is 572 “face palm” out of my membrane 6-8 and the resin handles the rest but gets depleted quickly… good ole city water ugh.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either a pressure issue or high TDS prior to entering unit. Also assure cartridges are not upside down creating back pressure

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good posts in this thread.

To recap:
Tap water TDS: 34 ppm
RO water TDS: unknown
DI water TDS: 4 ppm

Water pressure at the membrane: unknown

So Hilltop - would you get those numbers for us?

Is your DI resin cartridge installed with the big black rubber washer on the top or on the bottom?

Another question: Are you using a TDS meter with inline probes, or are you using a handheld TDS meter? If inline, are the probes rotated correctly in the tees?

When you look at your DI cartridge, do you see any empty space inside the cartridge? Look near the top of the cartridge.

Do you see any color change in the DI resin? If so, is the color change near the top, or the bottom of the cartridge?

Russ

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back