Aquatic Lifet5 hybrid question

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am thinking of upgrading to the Aquatic Life t5/led hybrid. However, I am debating over what size fixture I should get. I have a 40 breeder and 2 ai primes.

The 36" fixture would provide the best coverage, but it would also have some light bleed over since the tank is also 36" long>

The 24" fixture would not have the same amount of spread, but would be cheaper because it would only require 1 ai prime, and I could sell the other one. However, I am worried that this wouldn't really be an "upgrade" because it might not be any better than what I had before, due to the lack of spread.

I asked BRS, and this is what they said: "A 24 inch light would work for a 40 breeder but it would be a little dimmer at the ends of the tank. The 36" would prevent the dimming effect on the edges but you would also have significant light bleed past the end of the tank. "

What do you guys think? Do you think that the added cost of keeping the second ai prime is worth the extra coverage?

Thanks

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does your aquascape look like? are there corals on the edges of your tank? no need to light the edges if there nothing growing out there.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does your aquascape look like? are there corals on the edges of your tank?
It's hard to describe, so I'll post a picture.
20171031_152125-01.jpeg

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!!. Do you have a couch or tv next to the tank? if not, I wouldn't worry about light spill too much.
Thanks man! It's near my desk, but the 'walls' on the cabinet that it is on will probably block some of the light spill.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go with the 36"...24" would leave 14" total unlit area. 36" is made for 36" long tank. actual bulbs are under 36" long so you will still have 1" of unlit area along the sides.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im the minority, i perfer the look of 24" over 36" tank, light coverage would be more than enough. Not all specimens should be blasted with light, have a few shades lower on the fringe is more natural. Light spillage can ruin the look of tank in a room

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im the minority, i perfer the look of 24" over 36" tank, light coverage would be more than enough. Not all specimens should be blasted with light, have a few shades lower on the fringe is more natural. Light spillage can ruin the look of tank in a room
He has a point! I have a 48" tank and the 48" hybrid and I'm scrambling to find areas for lower demand corals specifically my chalice. But my 2 cents says to get the 36" and keep the extra prime because when you upgrade, and you will, it will be easier to do so.

Back