Aquatop 40G First Tank

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've probably posted too much already but figured I would start a build thread and keep some progress on the tank!

I was planning on getting the JBJ 45 All in one. After two of my LFS recommended not JBJ due to quality I noticed the aquatop. Probably about as cheap but was at least recommended by one of them. Bit the bullet and made the purchase.

Along with my tank I bought 5 gallons of Pre-Mixed salt water and some fiji pink sand (I like the look of the smaller particle sand).

My dad had some old rock from his fish tank about 10 years ago so decided to use some putty and mock up a design.

20210206_162327.jpg

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, I’ve done the same thing using old rock. If you don’t “cure” it (break down old organic material in and on the rock) it will “cure” in your tank so be aware of what that brings and how it will affect your process starting up. Happy reefing though, it looks like you got the bug!

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, I’ve done the same thing using old rock. If you don’t “cure” it (break down old organic material in and on the rock) it will “cure” in your tank so be aware of what that brings and how it will affect your process starting up. Happy reefing though, it looks like you got the bug!
Good to know! I was a day late and a dollar short. I threw everything in and so far haven't had issues. Had i done some research I would have cleaned the rocks better but oh well.

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I was a day late and a dollar short. I threw everything in and so far haven't had issues. Had i done some research I would have cleaned the rocks better but oh well.
Yeah same I had no problems, I just didn’t “ghost feed” and didn’t have to add fish before diatoms came. I dosed microbacter7 only....I was actually testing it because I doubted dormant bacteria lol but it seems to have worked.....or some how bacteria lived outside dry for a year hahaha. Keep us posted on your developments, I’ll be sure to keep a thread on mine!

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After solidifying my rock scape I placed the rocks in the tank first, then poured in my live sand around the rock work and filled it with water, kicked on the pumps and let it run for 2-3 days to clear up a bit.

After a strong recommendation from my LFS and an amazing write up from Dr. Reef on the forum I picked up a bottle of Fritz turbo start 900. Following the instructions and with much hesitation (knowing this is an uncycled tank) I did a water test (0 ammonia which is what I needed). I picked up 2 clown fish, a regular clown and a frostbite. *sooo cool* poured the bottle of Fritz in the tank and let it pump through the tank while the bags were floating. I also added 5 hermit crabs since I didn't want any left overs polluting the tank.
20210209_085452.jpg
20210208_200021.jpg
20210211_174237.jpg

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After solidifying my rock scape I placed the rocks in the tank first, then poured in my live sand around the rock work and filled it with water, kicked on the pumps and let it run for 2-3 days to clear up a bit.

After a strong recommendation from my LFS and an amazing write up from Dr. Reef on the forum I picked up a bottle of Fritz turbo start 900. Following the instructions and with much hesitation (knowing this is an uncycled tank) I did a water test (0 ammonia which is what I needed). I picked up 2 clown fish, a regular clown and a frostbite. *sooo cool* poured the bottle of Fritz in the tank and let it pump through the tank while the bags were floating. I also added 5 hermit crabs since I didn't want any left overs polluting the tank.
20210209_085452.jpg
20210208_200021.jpg
20210211_174237.jpg
I’ve never actually seen the API nitrite test indicate anything other than 0 lol. You definitely have nitrifying bacteria. I’d wait until that nitrite was at 0 to add fish, but you’re in it already good luck with the start up!

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright... Next morning the fish ate! The little guy was a pig but that's a good thing.

After the second day of adding fish I did another water test and noticed a little more ammonia and nitrite showing up which showed me the nitrifying bacteria was doing its work.

I have yet to see all 5 crabs out and about. One crab was always out on the beach out in the open and the others would only come out at night (had a camera record so I could see)

A LFS had a nero 3 in stock so decided to get a wavemaker and compared to an AC power head...it's amazing. Great flow pattern and plenty of power for my size tank.

Water has cleared up and replaced the filter sponge with a wad of filter floss
20210211_174347.jpg
20210211_193049.jpg

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about a week and no real change I'm now starting to get some Diatoms. everything is turning rusty.
20210217_175136.jpg

Figured it was time to get something that would actually clean the sand and not just hermit crabs. Went to the LFS and picked up a fighting conch. It must have missed the sand (local is bare tank) he hit the sand floor and immediately went to work.
also all my crabs are now out and about... except one. I guess the crabs got homicidal and one was sacrificed.
20210217_175411.jpg

20210219_204912.jpg

Although the conch was doing good work he needed more help. I was holding off getting snails until they were needed and well...now definitely there is a need. Picked up 5 Turbo snails and 5 nassarius snails.

20210220_150120.jpg

getting them to let go of each other was a disaster. they were holding onto each others shells and could care less about the tank they just got put in. A little bit of coaxing and finally we were off.

we also decided to add a new fish to the tank. Well timing isnt the best but he sure is cute! a Blue Spot Toby Puffer! The wife told me if I was doing salt water she wanted a puffer so i obliged.

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next morning I now realize that this will be a loosing battle. He's cute but the puffer learned how tasty a hermit crab is.

I am now down to 2 hermit crabs, two turbo snails (99% sure one was DOA) and 3 nassarius. Not sure the puffer ate any of the others but at least they weren't moving anymore

20210221_092120.jpg

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a puffer, he looks cool as heck! How’s the baby clown doing with him?
I have mixed emotions about the puffer. He's been great with my clowns...no issues! But he has been relentless at pecking at my cleanup crew . I need to give it a few more days and see if I can get him well fed and hopefully he'll start leaving the CUC alone

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Picasso trigger my parents got from petco.....they did zero research lol. I have been feeding him like mad because I have a peppermint shrimp and a pretty big emerald crab. Today I saw the peppermint literally ride the trigger hahahahah feeding well seems to slow the aggression in some fish sometimes.

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Picasso trigger my parents got from petco.....they did zero research lol. I have been feeding him like mad because I have a peppermint shrimp and a pretty big emerald crab. Today I saw the peppermint literally ride the trigger hahahahah feeding well seems to slow the aggression in some fish sometimes.
The worst part is I don't mind him pecking at the clean up crew. I just need him to wait till they get the tank clean then they are all available lol. With being a new tank and the diatoms going crazy I really need like a week of good cleaning and it would be fine but the puffer has its own agenda lol

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat as you...diatoms are just starting to get on everything. I’ve read to try to keep them suspended so you can filter floss them out, but I think that’s after they run out of silicon lol....maybe we can toothbrush a little before? Idk seems like a losing battle right now but I’ve been cleaning rocks/sand

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep him fed. Slow down the adds of.livestock. looks great. Let it mature. If you can teach your baby puffer to eat the food you add and not your cuc now. You might have better success with him as he gets bigger and hungrier.
D

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Its been almost two weeks! Everything in the tank has been happy and healthy. Diatoms cleared up and have been off and on as my CUC works on them.

Went to the LFS and picked up 5 Margarita snails. That's the only critter that I haven't lost a single one to the puffer.

My wife has since named the puffer Escargone. Essy for short. he is the snailinator.
20210222_171652.jpg

was definitely looking at these snails like and all you could eat buffet. I have not lost any snails to the puffer so they are safe...for now. haha

20210227_105636.jpg

Tank looking clean. I also am working on a custom media basket for this tank since InTank Aquatics doesnt sell one. Much nicer than the sponge filter or shoving a wad of filter floss in the chamber.

20210227_105714.jpg

Added a second Nero 3 to help add more flow around the tank and not just in one direction.

I added more crabs since there were only 2 left. In preperation i also added a clam on a half shell to keep essy busy while the crabs were introduced. definitely a good idea!

Next week the tank was looking a little bare and decided to pick up a Royal Gramma.

20210227_160627.jpg

Unfortunately woke up the next morning and he didnt make it. Did some research and it seems like they are very sensitive and people have a few fish die until they get one that is hardy and is a great fish from there. I was bummed about this so decided to get a Yellow watchman Goby and some cardinals and try my hand at a Gramma later.

20210304_174925.jpg

20210304_174952_011.jpg

Overall happy tank. Almost a month in at this point. Did a water Test a day after adding the new fish.
PH- 8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - between 0 and 5 (api test)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back