Aquatop Recife 40 AIO Filter Basket

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

New to reefing and picked myself up a Aquatop Recife 40 AIO. Upon doing some research I realized people recommend ditching the included sponge filter and replacing it with Filter floss and some Matrix or Chemipure Blue. Should be easy right? just head on over to InTankAquatics and....oh wait they don't have one.

Well until anything changes i'm going to make my own. I figure it will be similar to what intank offers.

I figure it will include 3 media trays and will be made out of acrylic and will be sourced out and laser cut.

Would Aquatop owners be interested in a media basket?

Depending on cost of materials I figure between $30-$50.

or if theres another option out there let me know :)

MAIN__98196.1607977689.jpg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same tank in the 24g version. I ditched all of the foam that came with it and just put filter floss on top and chemipure underneath in the 1st chamber. Skimmer in 2nd and combo of ceramic and bio-balls in the 3rd. There's really no need for the basket/tray setup. Save your $ and upgrade the light, it's barely capable of maintaining softies.

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested. You probably saw my thread with the filter floss hack I did. I don't know if it's on all the Aquatops or not, but in mine there a strip on the top left corner side of the return on the back that starts just below where the overflow is. Would this have something to compensate for that? Thanks for sharing this.

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested. You probably saw my thread with the filter floss hack I did. I don't know if it's on all the Aquatops or not, but in mine there a strip on the top left corner side of the return on the back that starts just below where the overflow is. Would this have something to compensate for that? Thanks for sharing this.
I did see your post and it started this for me! The protrusion you pictured...how far down does it go? The current design we might be able to accommodate that if it isn't super long

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same tank in the 24g version. I ditched all of the foam that came with it and just put filter floss on top and chemipure underneath in the 1st chamber. Skimmer in 2nd and combo of ceramic and bio-balls in the 3rd. There's really no need for the basket/tray setup. Save your $ and upgrade the light, it's barely capable of maintaining softies.
While I agree that a tray isn't necessary it's convenient. How do you go about putting filter floss? Just grab a handful and shove it down the opening? On the 40 gallon it's a 3"x3" opening and there's no easy or convenient way to use filter floss without using a whole bunch at once.

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious on what mine looked like and I'm glad I looked. It must be a design thing because mine has the same protrusion...so to answer your question, yes it will take that strip into account. We'll just have to make a small adjustment to make it fit

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Please do let me know when you have them ready for sale.
Was curious on what mine looked like and I'm glad I looked. It must be a design thing because mine has the same protrusion...so to answer your question, yes it will take that strip into account. We'll just have to make a small adjustment to make it fit

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that a tray isn't necessary it's convenient. How do you go about putting filter floss? Just grab a handful and shove it down the opening? On the 40 gallon it's a 3"x3" opening and there's no easy or convenient way to use filter floss without using a whole bunch at once.
I have a piece of large pore foam, the black stuff, about a 1/4 from the bottom of chamber 1. The carbon bag sits on top of that and the filter floss on top of the bag. I cut the floss slightly bigger than the chamber and it fits in there perfectly.

For me, it wouldn't be more convenient as you will have an extra wet thing to deal with and clean every time you do maintenance. I totally see the desire for a rack, I was headed down the same thought process when we first got ours. After a couple rounds of maintenance, I found the sweet spot and decided it was worth it for our setup.

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Had the pieces for the first prototype cut out today. After a lot of back and forth we came up with this design. Offering the most flexibility and customization for people buying it.
20210225_203532.jpg

Unfortunately because of the size limitation on the tank, we couldn't figure a clean way to install the water box 2.75" filter sock. We did however accommodate the red sea max nano 2" filter sock.

20210225_204148.jpg

No where local was open and had acrylic glue (it's different than super glue) available so tomorrow will be flow testing and seeing if there is any issues with fitment.

Let me know what you guys think!

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media basket fit great! the tolerances are a little big so we can tighten them up in the next version. So far I have enjoyed having it in my tank and dont really have anything drastic to change.
20210226_175543.jpg

20210227_105719.jpg

you can position the platform however you would like. Because I wanted to run a filter sock this is what I chose. I only glued the bottom supports so technically this can be repositioned if need be later.

Snuka42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media basket fit great! the tolerances are a little big so we can tighten them up in the next version. So far I have enjoyed having it in my tank and dont really have anything drastic to change.
20210226_175543.jpg

20210227_105719.jpg

you can position the platform however you would like. Because I wanted to run a filter sock this is what I chose. I only glued the bottom supports so technically this can be repositioned if need be later.

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Snuka42 Did you mean to post something? There isn't anything in your message other than my quote and pictures

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sorry about that. New to the site. I’m looking at the Autotop 40g and that media basket you made looks great. Are you selling those?
No worries. Just wanting to make sure! I am not currently selling them (still working out some details) they will be up for sale soon though :)

Snuka42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds great. Will there be an option for multiple shelves without a sock?
Thanks for posting this!!

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds great. Will there be an option for multiple shelves without a sock?
Thanks for posting this!!
Yes! There will be options for what shelves you would like. Since everyone's aquarium needs are different we design it in a way that you can make it to your liking!

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V2 has arrived!

Tightened up tolerances.

Made shelves adjustable.

New support braces.

Price will be $60 shipped.

Includes paypal fees, shipping and accessories.

Includes:

(1) 2" filter sock shelf

(2) media shelves

Can mix and match just let me know how many shelves you want and which ones.

20210308_222335.jpg

B-Rad Lowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Had the pieces for the first prototype cut out today. After a lot of back and forth we came up with this design. Offering the most flexibility and customization for people buying it.
20210225_203532.jpg

Unfortunately because of the size limitation on the tank, we couldn't figure a clean way to install the water box 2.75" filter sock. We did however accommodate the red sea max nano 2" filter sock.

20210225_204148.jpg

No where local was open and had acrylic glue (it's different than super glue) available so tomorrow will be flow testing and seeing if there is any issues with fitment.

Let me know what you guys think!
This is awesome

B-Rad Lowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V2 has arrived!

Tightened up tolerances.

Made shelves adjustable.

New support braces.

Price will be $60 shipped.

Includes paypal fees, shipping and accessories.

Includes:

(1) 2" filter sock shelf

(2) media shelves

Can mix and match just let me know how many shelves you want and which ones.

20210308_222335.jpg
How do I go about buying one?

OP
OP
Neffly4u

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I go about buying one?
I am just waiting for the next round of parts to be cut out, then assembly and shipping. You can send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

You also can send me the $60 via PayPal goods and services and I will update you when it ships :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back